What to get Wet or Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think managing a DS for the first time and a rebreather seems a bit overly ambitious. If it's just a different DS maybe not, but I'd want to do a few dives in it at least before adding something like a rebreather to the mix.

Im about to start rebreather training. My first chose is a drysuit but the one I want is on back order. How long could I expect to stay down in the FL Springs 68-72*F with a good 7mm and Hood? Im not skin and bones I have some meat around my Mussels :)

I agree, it's a really bad idea to show up to any class in a new configuration and learning to manage the volume of a dry suit while learning to manage the volume of a rebreather would create a very steep learning curve.

Just use your wet suit. I've done 120 minute dives in a 5mm wet suit, and I've done two of them per day in N FL with no issues. Just invest in a Surfur or similar to ensure you get properly warmed up between dives if you do multiple dives per day.

In a 7mm you should have no problems with warmth, although you'll need more weight to get down than with most dry suits with thin under garments, or a 5mm wet suit, and you need to be sure you have enough lift in your wing to float the compressed suit, the bailout gas and the rebreather.

----

The particular rebreather makes a difference, but trim can sometimes be an issue and you may eventually find that a dry suit gives you a bit more control over trim. But worry about that later, while you are building hours after your initial class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom