What to expect on my first "real" dive after OW/AOW certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived with instas, which also means *I'm* the insta. Get to the boat a little early. Tell the DM you're pretty new and will need a buddy. If you're lucky, maybe the DM will be that buddy. Or he/she will do a little work to find you a buddy--or even two buddies, going threesies isn't that bad. Tip the DM a little extra at the end of the day for that help. Do a thorough pre-dive check with buddy, agree on how you'll signal air-remaining, then agree to "check in" at 2000, 1500, 1000 at least, and keep track of who's using air faster. Plan when to "turn" the dive and to be at the ascent point with 1000, or at least 800.
Know how to signal "low on air" (fist against chest) and use that signal if you need to--*don't* wait til it's "out of air". Okay, it won't happen, but it's good to know.
I've had very good instabuddies who were quite new at it. Some people are naturals, others are "pretty goods". And, even after saying all this, relax---it'll be fine.

I'll echo what a few others have said...
Look at Rainbow Reef in Key Largo.

They'd be a great fit because...
-They limit the dives to a strict 60 minutes, which in reality is like 50 minutes. You could breath air like Andre The Giant running a marathon, and at 30ft-40ft still be able to complete a 45-50 minute dive.
-They put a DM in the water with all the groups...
-They likely would have a group of newer divers that they could put you with...
-Private DM's are $75 for a two tank dive (if I remember correctly). That DM would kind of be at your disposal, and would (should??) allow you to work on you buoyancy/ trim (maybe shoot a DSMB too)... The total cost may be similar (albeit slightly more expensive) then going on a smaller 6 pack boat with a different operator...

Other things to be aware of (IMHO)...
-Let the operator know you're a newer diver... we've all been there...
-Don't pack like you're going on a 7 day adventure... the less 'extra baggage' the better.
-Know what weight you need, and in what style, EX. 8 LBS in 4 2-pound weights, or 2 4-pound weights...
-Review, even mentally, how to set up your kit.
-You likely will NOT do a 'proper' buddy check... set your own gear up, make sure the air is on (at the appropriate time), and you should be all set...
-Listen to the dive brief...
-Pack some $$ for a tip...

But most of all... ENJOY YOUR DIVE!! DON'T OVER THINK IT!!

make it clear that diving is something you want to do, in fact it's something you HAVE to do in order to relieve the daily stress that we all have to deal with, whether it's the kids, paying the mortgage, a difficult boss or client at work, or even a health issue.

If you can effectively communicate this to your wife, there should be no issues going forward getting approval when you want to squeeze in a few dives during a multi-day vacation. Just be sure to give her plenty of attention during the surface intervals.

I can't like this post enough, and I can't profess my appreciation for my wife enough. She's AMAZINGLY come to an agreement with me where I can take 'dive breaks' still, even with the addition of our daughter...

She's a saint and so far ok'ed several dive trips where I have, or will, travel solo... these ok'ed trips include Key Largo (1 week), St. Croix, and 16 Days (YES, 16 DAYS!!!) in Cozumel!!! She's also ok'ed a significant investment in gear needed for diving locally...

I'm a firm believer, my diving makes me a better husband, and father...

I suggest that you be up front with the operator and tell them your concerns. You're paying for the experience so you should enjoy it.
Yes. My first boat dives I recall being buddied with experienced divers and things went fine. Guess there's no guarantee of that. Those were on the panhandle.

You'll be diving in much nicer water than I did on my first few dives. You'll probably be a little nervous (not unusual). Best to do a guided dive rather than an insta-buddy (unless they are experienced and willing). Enjoy the experience!

Thanks for the replies.

Realistically I probably can't drive up to Key Largo because my wife was going to drop me off and use the car with my son while I'm diving, then pick me up. So chances are that won't happen.

By being intimidated I just mean that little fear of the unknown since I really don't know what to expect. All of my dives thus far have been super structured so this one won't or may not be, and I find that a little intimidating, just since it's new to me. I expect to be a bit nervous, as I was with most of my OW/AOW dives, but that nervousness went away pretty quickly once in the water.

I plan to have my personal gear, my dive computer, and my wetsuit. It's the same wetsuit I did my OW/AOW dives in and the last dive I was weighted perfectly with 6lbs, so I plan on trying that as well. I made sure to make a note of that in my log book in case I ever forgot.

I also feel that I'm a bit more comfortable/along than many of the other people were in my dive group. I definitely had bouyancy down the best in the group, and by the end of my last dive, I was going up/down solely by breathing, and it just clicked. It was a zen like moment. I also think being weighted "perfectly" on that last dive helped too. I hardly had any air at all in my BCD.

That said, I still want to pay attention to it and work on it because I know how important it is. I also want to work on my breathing. Even though I'm very fit, I'm also a heavy breather and I want to work on slowing my breathing down. On my last AOW dive, the instructor said that he wanted me to focus on it and would be happy if I got back with more than 800 psi. I ended up coming back with 1100 psi and he was very pleased. I definitely focused more on it.

I did have my goPro with me as well on my AOW dives and I did not feel they got in the way of anything. I wasn't using the whole time or anything though and wasn't focusing on it, and I had it on a wrist strap so it just dangled a lot.

With all that said, I did a DSD down in Marathon 2 years ago and I'm not sure exactly what reef they took us to. I know it wasn't Looe Key, because I've snorkeled there multiple times and I remember that we weren't there, so I really don't know the sites. I went with Captain Hook and planned on contacting them tomorrow just to tell them my situation and see how things go.

I'm just hoping that once I get out on the boat, regardless who I'm with, I get that calmness. I think that if I'm not a bit nervous, then there would be a problem lol. I feel it will be normal, but pretty sure once I'm underwater, it will slowly go away.

I'd still inquire about a private DM... I've only hired one a hand full of times, but when I did the dive was more enjoyable.

It's perfectly natural to feel the way you do. This too shall pass, if you keep diving.

Realistically I probably can't drive up to Key Largo because my wife was going to drop me off and use the car with my son while I'm diving, then pick me up. So chances are that won't happen..

It's about a 50 minute drive from Marathon to the beginning of the upper Keys, and there's a great Dive Op in Tavenier called Conch Republic Divers who can take you to some nice, easy, colorful and healthy coral reefs. You don't think your wife would drive 50 minutes to be sure you have a safe comfortable dive? Wouldn't you drive HER 50 minutes or even an hour or two to make sure she's somewhere she wants or needs to be? Can't she do stuff closer to the upper Keys so she doesn't have to drive back up again? Doesn't seem like you're asking all that much, but you seem to think so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom