What to do with a couple of days in San Diego in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize for posting to this thread after the fact. Diving is certainly dependent on weather and first time visitors who have traveled from afar if the weather doesn't cooperates should have an alternate plan.

San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles county were the fountain head - the birth place- of recreational diving in the US.

One area, La Jolla Cove was made famous and was the hunting grounds of the world famous Bottom Scratchers Spear fishing club, which was organized in 1932. What follows is a snippet from the US Magazine National Geographic in 1949

~~~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4QW2y2S5E ~~~~

As a visitor you could have visited and experienced a very historic location, long forgotten by the modern diver

SDM

FWIW: I lived and dove in San Diego many years and winter diving was always hit and miss---passing storms can really kick up the surf and/or trash the vis. The La Jolla trench was often the only diveable site, but it's just a series of clay walls and ledges so not too exciting. (I did once have a large halibut follow me around like a puppy, though. That was cool!)

Back
Top Bottom