What to do if Instructors Teaching Credentials are no longer valid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His teaching status is inactive - this is due to an investigation PADI made due to an accident. They niether confirm nor deny he was at fault, and just stopped investigating. Leaving him in an inactive status.
Hmmm, so PADI has elected to suspend this instructor, but not call it that. Interesting. Not a PADI instructor, nor will I ever be, but I wonder what their S&P says about status - and what they mean. Shame someone had an accident, and it is a shame this student will be in a lurch. Find another instructor and start over again. But have a definite end date and do not accept this "I am your free help, lugger of things, and setter and recovery person of floats for the next few years to come" either.

As everyone said, you are out of luck. your only recourse is small claims court to recoup the payment made. Nothing will bring back your time.
One would hope that the new DM instructor would give some allowance for the previous training the student received—unless it is determined that the training was grossly sub-standard, in which case the agency (PADI) should intervene to protect their reputation and standards.

unless it is determined that the training was grossly sub-standard, in which case the agency (PADI) should intervene to protect their reputation and standards.

Unless the instructor signed off and certified the DM or gave him a referral, PADI can't determine if the instructor violated standards or did anything wrong. The instructor can just say that he didn't certify or sign off on the DM just because the DM candidate wasn't good enough and didn't perform to standards thus failing the course putting the burden for failing and not getting certified on the DM's shoulders.

We are only hearing one side of the story here, we should allow for another version of facts and truth.

One would hope that the new DM instructor would give some allowance for the previous training the student received—unless it is determined that the training was grossly sub-standard, in which case the agency (PADI) should intervene to protect their reputation and standards.
Why? This is a DM program. In my last open water course that i taught for a shop, I had all students neutrally buoyant and trimmed from the start of CW1.

I shared the pool with an IDC staff instructor who placed the DMCs on their knees the entire time.

My students thought they were remedial open water students as they hardly moved from being on their knees.

Given that this training is so prevalent still today, why would I not start from scratch?

I shared the pool with an IDC staff instructor who placed the DMCs on their knees the entire time.

My students thought they were remedial open water students as they hardly moved from being on their knees.

Given that this training is so prevalent still today,
Perhaps you are generalizing?

Perhaps you are generalizing?
Perhaps the generalization is quite accurate.

God I hope I don't regret responding to the likes of you

The hubris is overflowing in this thread, it is going to burst very soon... Some good folks are going to get their shoulders out of whack because their are patting themselves too much on their backs.

@rkasbaum

The above is an indication of how pervasive mediocrity is in this industry. Possibly you were fortunate to have an instructor who taught you well for conducting skills neutrally buoyant and trimmed, learning about identifying passive as well as active panic and how to address such issues, etc..

Fortunately there are growing number of instructors who teach properly and train the next generation of dive pros.

Unfortunately it is often those who have been "teaching for decades" who continue to use inferior methods of overweighting and on the knees placement of students.

One of my worst open water courses involved another instructor assisting. I gave clear instructions that students were to be neutrally buoyant at all times. I split the class as a result but everytime I turned around, the students were on the bottom. So I'd signal them to hover. It was incredibly frustrating. After the class one of my students told me how the other instructor told them to stay put, not hover, and that he had "been teaching for decades."

In my area there is one shop in the Seattle area and one in the West Sound that teach neutrally buoyant and trimmed. The rest (vast majority) place their students on their knees.

That is why I'd start with square one. If you taught properly, you'd breeze through and I'd prorate the costs and give you a refund. But you'd have to prove that your DM training was correct. Otherwise, I'd have to fix bad habits. I hope this makes sense and is reasonable.

Why? This is a DM program. In my last open water course that i taught for a shop, I had all students neutrally buoyant and trimmed from the start of CW1.

Given that this training is so prevalent still today, why would I not start from scratch?
You're so hard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom