Question What to do after unplanned surfacing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you guys for the answers :)! That's what I was looking for.

For emergency ascents NDL is less important than the safe ascent rate: if you are within your NDL then by definition you can ascend directly to the surface. But when you're coming up from a long deep dive you may have a "transient" ceiling in your fast tissues that will clear on the way up -- unless you ascend too fast.

I had an accident similar to your description when working as DM in Sicily (Favignana island), which occurred to a diver of my group.
He suddenly disappeared (he ballooned up).
So I did bring the other divers up with a proper safety stop, during which I was seeing the tank of the missing diver hanging below the boat, so I was sure that he had been rescued.
After surfacing I found that my wife was administering him pure oxygen and had already called by radio the coast guard.
The guy had minimal symptoms: one finger in a foot aching, possible due to the procedure of raising him from water.
However we played safe: ten minutes later I and the diver were loaded on a large rescue helicopter of the coast guard, which did fly us to the nearest deco chamber (at Ustica island), where the hyperbaric doctor recompressed the diver for a 6-hours oxygen hyperbaric treatment.
He exited the chamber with no symptoms.
The following morning he had a second, shorter ride in the chamber, and finally he was dismissed as completely healed, but forbidden to dive for the following 48h.
Of course we decided to play safe as we were in Italy, where all of this is entirely free (including being lodged and fed for the night at the firefighter station of Ustica).
In other countries the same trip by helicopter and two chamber rides could have been very expensive, so possibly people without proper DAN insurance would take the risk and not ask to be transported immediately in a recompression chamber...

This is the Basic forum. Forget in-water recompression; surface, go on O2, monitor for DCS symptoms.
100% correct!
I would add: call DAN, or warn emergency services, coast guard, fire brigade, etc...
And follow their guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom