Question What to do after unplanned surfacing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darksider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Suppose you surfaced quickly from 30 meters (100 ft). Like some malfunction, out of air situation or something like that. What's the best thing to do next?

Go directly to the chamber just in case? Or maybe it is better to go back underwater first to minimize DCS risk if it is still possible? I'm not sure if it would help or harm.

Way too many variables to answer that question with just one solution.

The answer will depend on when it happened. Were you just starting the dive, or were you pretty close to NDL? Are you near help, or in a remote location?

The proper answer of course is not to do that. An equipment malfunction should not mean an uncontrolled surfacing. The solution to a stuck inflator is to disconnect the hose. That will at least stop more air from entering the BC, allowing you time to figure things out.

Things happen, and I would like to know what to do just in case :). Hopefully, this knowledge won't be ever needed.

Let's say close to NDL, near help. Is going back underwater helpful in this kind of situation? Does it decrease DCS risk? Should you stay then at 5m as long as possible?

Basically, after a dive accident you monitor for signs of injury or illness, like skin rash, itching, more serious ones like joint pain, hard breathing, numbness / tingling, etc. You can breathe 100% oxygen or any EANx (won't hurt in any case). Consult with a physician obviously if you have any signs of injury.

Things happen, and I would like to know what to do just in case

Take rescue diver! That's exactly what it's for, what to do, "just in case" :)

Suppose you surfaced quickly from 30 meters (100 ft). Like some malfunction, out of air situation or something like that. What's the best thing to do next?

Go directly to the chamber just in case? Or maybe it is better to go back underwater first to minimize DCS risk if it is still possible? I'm not sure if it would help or harm.

Get on O2 and call DAN. There are only a few specific instances where you should in water recompress. This isn’t one of them.

Basically, after a dive accident you monitor for signs of injury or illness, like skin rash, itching, more serious ones like joint pain, hard breathing, numbness / tingling, etc. You can breathe 100% oxygen or any EANx (won't hurt in any case). Consult with a physician obviously if you have any signs of injury.
Exactly. Monitor symptoms, and administer oxygen if available. 100% is best, but any elevated mix will speed up offgassing. O2 can help prevent new symptoms from forming. If you don’t have symptoms, then there may be no problem.
Take rescue diver! That's exactly what it's for, what to do, "just in case" :)
Yep. Highly recommended course. Assuming you have a good instructor. In that class, you should practice things like this. Including disconnecting your inflator like I mentioned earlier.

One other thing. Consult your computer. My computers will display a bar graph representing each compartment. It’s helpful to gauge risk of DCS. While you may have been close to NDL, the controlling tissue compartment is an important factor. If it were the fast tissues, then the risk is smaller. They ongas fast and also offgas fast.

In water recompression is a thing, but more of a last resort. If diving in a remote area where getting medical help is unlikely, then that may be your best option. Very rare, though.

The most important thing is not to ignore symptoms. There was a thread here (probably in Accidents and Incidents) a while back where in water recompression was attempted. Young diver surfaced and his mom sent him back down for IWR, or as she put it (story posted by her to Facebook) to have him simmer down. They then dismissed his symptoms as not important. Tacos were apparently more important. He ended up paralyzed for a while, but did recover.

I like the above recommendations for getting on O2 (and taking a rescue class, as well as whatever agency you are using for your training for administering oxygen - get a kit with 2 bottles as well - one is none, two is one), calling DAN, etc..

I would like to add one thing, your impairment. You just took a ride from depth to the surface. Your adrenaline most likely will be flowing and adrenaline impairs thinking. I wouldn't trust anyone's judgement in such a scenario to go down underwater, even with a buddy.

I do not know you or how well you handle stress, but having a buddy who can set up your oxygen kit for you is something I would recommend. So if your buddies haven't taken a rescue course and/or one for administering oxygen, get them signed up.

And as people have said, if you have telephone service, call DAN and follow their recommendations. Ideally your buddy is monitoring you for DCS. Do not ignore any symptoms that day or the next.

Do not take hot showers or get in the hot tub.

I’m no expert but if you are out of air, going back down under water does not seem logical. What would you breathe?
Diver rescue is on my priority list. Just need more dives.

Back
Top Bottom