What to do about these valves manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Ok, so I'll lay out my thoughts...

I'm converting to DIN. I also want all of my tanks to have the same 200 bar modular valves. In an effort to not end up with a whole lot of mismatched brands and parts I think it's prudent to go ahead and get my tanks right from the start.

I have 2 LP 112's that are being converted to left and right DGX/DR DIN valves.

I have 2 LP 72's that are currently doubled with a DR DIN manifold. (See Pic)

I have 2 LP 112's that are currently doubled with a different (older?) DR DIN manifold. (See Pic)

I have 1 LP 95 that I'm looking for a match although considering making this a dedicated O2 tank for the boat, but still plan on converting to a DGX/DR DIN valve for possible doubling.

I have 1 AL 80 with a Yoke valve and never personally use it. Just a spare for a buddy or emergency tank for the boat. So I'm thinking I'll leave it as is and if need be I could always use a spin on adapter in a pinch.

Now, my question is really about the compatibility between the two Dive Rite valves and manifolds. My diving in the future will always still consist of skinny water due to the nature of where I live, but occasionally with the opportunity to use doubles. So I really want the ability to easily switch back and forth from single to double tank diving or maybe double up two sets from time to time.

It's my understanding that the current DR manifold is adjustable and will work on both the 72's and the 112's but I'm unsure of the compatibility of this older DR valve/manifold. Are they essentially the same? Would you sell and replace the manifold and valves on the 112's to match everything else? Am I on the right track with my thinking of having everything the same?

I know I could play trial and error here, but I'd rather not dump the contents in the 112's because I believe they are filled with a helium mix.

20161230_212041.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Is the worry that you will one day sell the LP112 and not be able to re-use the manifold?

BTW, what is "skinny" water?

I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Is the worry that you will one day sell the LP112 and not be able to re-use the manifold?

BTW, what is "skinny" water?

Not really a problem, but more so trying to look at the future and any compatibility issues between the two and their parts. In other words, are the parts all interchangeable between the two manifolds and valves? If I'm far offshore and need to fix something or harvest parts from another set are they the same or do I need to now have spare parts for essentially two different manifolds made by the same company? For example, can I take the isolator off one set and use it on the other and vice versa? The knobs definitely look different. Are the o-rings the same, etc?

Skinny water = Shallow. The rough rule of thumb around here is 2 feet deep for every mile.

I've had the same manifolds on three sets of doubles for decades. One is DR, one is Scubapro and one is OMS. With a little bit (and I mean a LITTLE bit) of maintenance, manifolds aren't likely to give you any trouble. Honestly, service what you have if necessary, and carry on.

On the other hand, having a set of unlabelled tanks with an unknown gas in them has the potential to be a problem. Analyze and label before you worry about your manifolds. (Just my opinion of course...)

Personally, I don't foresee any situation where I would be offshore and want to fix a tank valve.

Don't forget that you will lose all your gas if you take the manifold apart.

Yes, I understand. Some operations I know of are whipping tanks and bringing banked mixes because of the time and cost of travel. Some of these trips being several days long. So, it's not unfeasible to make a repair at sea. Perhaps I'm over analyzing, although I've read advice that suggests keeping everything the same just makes things simpler... From regs to valves, etc.

@Stoo yes, I have no idea what mix is in them. I purchased them from a guy who said they are full with trimix. The tanks are due for hydro and so I'll likely try and sell the gas, depending on what I discover is in it.

I would suggest you get manifolds/valves that use o-rings only and not ones that require copper crush washers.

Yes, I understand. Some operations I know of are whipping tanks and bringing banked mixes because of the time and cost of travel. Some of these trips being several days long. So, it's not unfeasible to make a repair at sea. Perhaps I'm over analyzing, although I've read advice that suggests keeping everything the same just makes things simpler... From regs to valves, etc.

@Stoo yes, I have no idea what mix is in them. I purchased them from a guy who said they are full with trimix. The tanks are due for hydro and so I'll likely try and sell the gas, depending on what I discover is in it.

Sounds like some of the tanks from the "Diver Locker" sale that was happening there in High Springs. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom