What to carry on plane beside reg's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you have a higher comfort threshold than I do, Reefraff. :)

I have DEPP too, but still carry on my regs, computers, backplate, and drysuit. The extra hassle is negligible for me vs. the potential disastrous effects on my dive trip. For instance:

1. Backplates and drysuits for rent are very hard to find or nonexistent. Even if I somehow found them (highly unlikely) in time to catch the boat, I'd still be uncomfortable using them because they won't be customized.
  2. Regs are more readily available and easily customizable, but who knows how the quality will be or when they were last serviced? That's a distraction I don't need.
  3. Replacing the lost gear after the trip is over would also be a huge hassle for me....especially waiting another eight weeks for a new drysuit. :(
    [/list=1]

Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak?

:jester:

reefraff wrote
But, then, I've been known to ship my own tanks rather than have to deal with the rental zoo...
Wow! What a control freak!

I'd never do anything like that!

...oh, wait....

....I already did.

Nevermind.

:wink:

Seriously though, it's not a control issue for me. I just don't want anything intruding on the incredible serenity and sublime beauty of the underwater world.

ScubaDawg once bubbled...
I would like to get an opinion on what else besides my reg's to carry on the plane with me.

First thought that comes to mind is my computer (of course) but how about my dive light (UK LightCanon)? Any effects of flying with something like the HID bulb (pressure)?

The obvious reason to carry on the LightCannon is the rough treatment that luggage gets by baggage handlers.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

--dawg

Why a regs? They're easy enough to rent. (Yes, I know, they're a critical life support item, but I assume we're not talking about an overhead environment here.)

IMHO, carryon items include documents, toilet articles, a change of clothing, a bathing suit, mask with presciption lens, good camera, and a few paperbacks.

In the good old days (pre-9/11), I considered eveything carryon. <G>

I'm with Reef on everything but shipping tanks! (Yikes) In two decades of heavy travel I've 'lost' one checked bag--and got it back in three hours.

I don't use Pelican cases, but well contructed hardcase camaflouged as regular 'business' gear. I am glad not to haul more than I have to. And most of it is insured. Worst case? Rent for one trip, buy all new gear when I get back.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
My carry on.

Book
Boarding pass
Wallet

............Insurance Documents

How do you manage if your checked baggage is missing for a few or more days?

I check all of my dive gear. I use a large pelican case with a padlock. I pretty much only carry on my computer (and any work I need to do) and for international flights I carry on toiletries. This last trip I lost 2 bags out of 5, but neither of them was the dive gear. One bag showed up the next day and the other one showed up a few days later.

My credit card company has baggage insurance up to 3K for flights paid for using that card. The international refund is $9/pound to be paid by the airline (domestic is 2500/bag).

I can pretty much replace my gear for 1.5K (now that I know what to buy and where to shop), so equipment insurance doesn't seem to be that important.

Carry on:

Regs
Computer or SPG
Lights
BP/Wings

Everything else gets packed.

I had some questions last year when I went to Bermuda. One particularly brilliant guard wanted me to prove that the regs worked. I asked him if he wanted me to wheel a tank of pressurized gas through the airport. He settled for sniffing my shoes.:rolleyes:

One thing that I have noticed is that the Carribean airports will make you remove the batteries from your lights or disconnect the light head. Its probably not a bad idea as I understand that lights have been turned on by accident and that they have created problems.

As to the question regarding HID's at altitude. I have checked my UK Light Cannon in the past. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom