What to buy next...HELP!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cahoolin

Reaction score
Aside from Mask and Fins what would you reccommend a beginner purchase next...Regulator, Suit, BCD????...what do think and why?

Thanks

1: BC
2: Exposure Protection
3: Regulator
Why?

Owning your own BC and wet/dry suit will help you tweak out your buoyancy skills more quickly because you aren't switching different types of setups. The regulators won't have as much effect upon this one primary and Oh So Important skill.

The Kracken:
1: BC
2: Exposure Protection
3: Regulator
Why?

Owning your own BC and wet/dry suit will help you tweak out your buoyancy skills more quickly because you aren't switching different types of setups. The regulators won't have as much effect upon this one primary and Oh So Important skill.

Well, I guess I'm just trying to get a handle on it. What you say makes sense...Thanks

I would say exposure protection first. Get a wet/dry suit that fits you well, and is sufficient for where you will do most of your diving. I wouldn't want to rent a wet/drysuit, can throw off your buoyancy too much. May sound gross, but you never know who peed in your rental wetsuit!!!!

Wetsuit first, that way your bouyency will remain constant...........then a BC and then your reg setup (most exspensive part).

depends on the type of diving you want to do. If you are doing a lot of traveling and do mostly warm water diving then purchase a regulator and guages first. It has always been important to me that my primary piece of equipment (regulator and guages) be the most trusted piece of equipment. I've seen too much rental gear screw up while on vacation in Mexico. In the states our dive shops seem to take better care of their rental equipment. A wetsuit or BC if you have problems offshore doesn't always mean a ruined dive ..... but if the regulator screws up then that's it for the day. It doesn't matter if you buy it new or used .... from your LDS or off the web ..... make sure it's dependable and that you can always find service and parts for it. Before you make your choice of brands may i suggest you read the thread "dumped on by diving companies again".

1. Wetsuit first ... kind of like sharing a toothbrush for me.
2. BC ... important for safety and differenty brands/models have features & placements of valves, rings, unlike with regs.
3. Reg ... important safety equipment
4. Dive Computer
5. Tank(s)
6. Replace lost or broken equipment
7. Repeat endlessly, looking for the newest, shinest, neatest gadget available

scubapro50:
depends on the type of diving you want to do. If you are doing a lot of traveling and do mostly warm water diving then purchase a regulator and guages first. It has always been important to me that my primary piece of equipment (regulator and guages) be the most trusted piece of equipment. I've seen too much rental gear screw up while on vacation in Mexico. In the states our dive shops seem to take better care of their rental equipment. A wetsuit or BC if you have problems offshore doesn't always mean a ruined dive ..... but if the regulator screws up then that's it for the day. It doesn't matter if you buy it new or used .... from your LDS or off the web ..... make sure it's dependable and that you can always find service and parts for it. Before you make your choice of brands may i suggest you read the thread "dumped on by diving companies again".

Thanks for the Heads-Up. That thread was very informative.

exposure protection and Regulator, they are kinda personal and the hygine element is important.

MyDiveLog:
1. Wetsuit first ... kind of like sharing a toothbrush for me.
2. BC ... important for safety and differenty brands/models have features & placements of valves, rings, unlike with regs.
3. Reg ... important safety equipment
4. Dive Computer
5. Tank(s)
6. Replace lost or broken equipment
7. Repeat endlessly, looking for the newest, shinest, neatest gadget available

I like shiny things :dance:

Back
Top Bottom