What to ask when booking a dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoochykoochy

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently been certified OW at Vivian Quarry and have since completed "successfullyish" 4 dives at Stoney Cove.
I'm travelling to Qwera, Malta in July but before then I will be in the Arcachon Basin near Bordeaux.
Ive received confirmation/hire prices and a name/tel from the nearest PADI centre and I intend booking 3 dives with the outfit.

What sort of questions should I be asking when I book??

This will be my first time Ocean diving and from a boat.

hoochykoochy

1. Check out whether you can find any unsolicited testimonials to the dive centre before making a choice. I haven't checked to see whether there are any relevant to you in the Travel - Europe section of this Board.

2. As for questions I'd want to know the ratio of DM to Divers. Indeed you might want to go 1 to 1 for your first Ocean dives.

3. What sort of boat? Does it have a proper dive platform? Is it equipped with emergency equipment e.g. oxygen?

4. How many divers will be on board? Can they all suit up at the same time or is it a "cattle boat" with so many divers you have to work a shift system?

5. If you are hiring a suit make sure that it is going to be warm enough. I don't know anything about Bordeaux but I imagine it won't be very warm. I imagine for Malta you would want at least a full 5mm and maybe a hood and gloves.

Hope this helps.

regards

You may want to consider having your own DM hired for your first day of diving. It usually cost $25 to $50.

When I did my first oceans dives after fresh water certification, it was a good piece of mind to have someone looking after me.

You would need to book ahead.

Thanks for the replies...I'll certainly be asking those questions. With regards to wetsuits, I will be taking a full 5mm with hood/gloves to Malta, but I'll be using a 7mm f/john plus 7mm shorty over the top.
This kept me ok in the quarry for about 40mins with a water temp of 7 deg C. As I'm not drysuit trained I think this is my only option!!

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom