What things do go wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Se7en

Contributor
Reaction score
In another thread, the quote below was posted

"And if you lose all your divers and then get tangled up in something and run out of air... you aren't doing a great job as a DM . I had to really laugh at this picture. Not only would you not be doing a great job as a DM but I'd have to say you were a moron too."

And I was going to reply with '**** happens', til I thought about it a bit more, and thought it would be interesting to see what does actually go wrong.

For me, aside from basic gear issues which are sorted out OK, I can remember 2 experiences from the last 10 years.

The first was diving in thick kelp, chasing crays. Doing this, you regularly get tangled in the kelp - which is no big deal as long as you stop and carefully untangle yourself. There's often surge as well, which is wrapping the kelp around you.

One dive, I managed to get kelp tangled around my first stage, with my body a bit below in the clearer spaces between the stems. Couldn't really move my body sideways or up, and forward was dragging my reg from my mouth. Again, normally no big deal, just back up slowly and untangle... until the snorkle got wrapped in some kelp from in front of me.

Hmmm - forwards I lose my reg, backwards I lose my mask...

Ended up having my mask ripped off, and getting untangled in a cloud of bubbles :) Luckily my buddy had wandered passed and picked up my mask - he left me alone to get untangled as having two people in the tangle just makes it worse - but I probably would have blown less bubbles if I'd known he was there...

Second incident was almost the opposite - 50 m vis and warm water. A planned dive to 35m went a bit wrong when narcosis, great vis, and interesting fish distracted my buddy and she dropped down a few metres deeper than intended. When I swam down and got her attention, she had a issue with her inflator, and dumped air instead (she was already slightly negative).
However, she though that she had leveled off, and was watching a grey whaler swim past.

My computer recorded a maximum depth of 46m for that dive, where I grabbed her BC and swam her back up. At 30m she was fine, but I was a little less happy...

Just my experience of when things go a bit pear shaped despite the best intentions.

Mike

So things can go bad in rough or perfect conditions!

On a night dive with a special class, I got tangled in kelp, a fin came loose, & I could not stand on the bottom because a scorpionfish was just beneath my foot. A photographer was crowding me, so I just stood in mid-kelp waiting. When the opportunity came, I re-applied the fin, unwound the kelp, & found my buddy....whose light promptly flooded. Lucky I had a spare in my pocket that I had found that morning on the bottom!

...of how one trivial problem underwater can snowball into a whole series of problems that, when taken alone, wouldn't be serious, but when thrown together have the potential to be deadly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom