What thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZMA

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I'm new to the world of scuba, and am currently enrolled in my OW certification class.

My OW dives are going to be in the (I assume late) spring, and it will be right on the border of IL/WI, so still moderately cool.

I won't be Dry suit certified (nor do I really have an interest in pursuing it just yet), so I was wondering, is it just an obvious answer that a 7mm wetsuit would be the best thing? I think i'll be restricted to one suit, but maybe not (let's go along with this with the idea that I will only have one suit, haha).

So, I'm thinking:
Suit length: Full
Thickness: 7mm (?)
Type of neoprene? - I read in one thread, during my wetsuit searches on the forums, that there were different types of neoprene (this was in regards to a custom wetsuit). I don't know if the different kinds of neoprene are available for stock suits.

Anything else I need to consider?
Is there an area with reviews of different companies on this site? If not, what would the suggestion be in terms of company? Bodyglove? Zeagel? Other?

Sorry if i'm beaing vague, but there are way more options than I originally thought there were, so I don't really know where to look (and i'd like to order one within the next two-three weeks).

Thanks very much,
Z

Hey Z,

Welcome to the world of diving. Yes 7mm would be your best bet for cold water if your not going dry there is also the choice of Semi-dry which you do get wet but the seals are better around your neck, wrist and ankles so water flowing in and out will be reduced. You also need to keep in mind do you want a one piece or just a two piece suit as well hood or no hood. The two piece will give you 14mm on the core (7mm farmer john and a 7mm jacket top) but the seals are not the best so you will have a bit of water transfer.

The best piece of advice i can give you is go to your local dive shop and try the different suits on and see what fits the best, you will want a good fit to help keep you warm.

Cheers,
Patrick

Hey Z,

Welcome to the world of diving. Yes 7mm would be your best bet for cold water if your not going dry there is also the choice of Semi-dry which you do get wet but the seals are better around your neck, wrist and ankles so water flowing in and out will be reduced. You also need to keep in mind do you want a one piece or just a two piece suit as well hood or no hood. The two piece will give you 14mm on the core (7mm farmer john and a 7mm jacket top) but the seals are not the best so you will have a bit of water transfer.

The best piece of advice i can give you is go to your local dive shop and try the different suits on and see what fits the best, you will want a good fit to help keep you warm.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ok, thanks a lot. I had been looking around and noticed all the different styles, but I didn't realize that you could combine them and stuff. I'll have to look around for a local dive shop. The place where I got my snorkel, fins, and mask is basically a general sporting goods store...the guy who owns it really specializes in certifying, rather than outfitting people...I think.

He only carries body glove wetsuits, and at that he only carries a standard full and shorty.

I know of a couple others, but i'll have to really look into them and this whole wetsuit thing, especially paying attention to seals.

Everyday, I find more things that I didn't know about :D I'm sure that will continue for a long time to come, haha.

Thanks,
Z

I think best buy will be 5mm mono + 5mm jacket. 7+7 need more weight and harder to put on/off.
In any case if you'll go dive in future in cold water you'll buy dry suit.

I think best buy will be 5mm mono + 5mm jacket. 7+7 need more weight and harder to put on/off.
In any case if you'll go dive in future in cold water you'll buy dry suit.
I agree 5mm full + 5 mm overshorty is the most flexible and most importantly get a good hood

As time passes you will come to realise the more suits you own, the better. In other words, a suit for every condition. I use to think wetsuit, now days I think dive clothing. When on a dive boat, it is amazing how much conversation revolves around "what are you going to wear"?

Something worth noting: A "medium" fit wetsuit in one brand will fit comfortably, when a "medium" fit in a different brand will be way too tight.

Ok, I'll look into the 5mm/5mm combo.

I thought id throw this out there though...would a hooded vest and 5mm work well enough assuming I got some gloves that fit well as well? Or should I just stick to the 5mm/combo?

You would wear a 3mm hooded vest because thicker would create flooding issues that is
why you go with an overvest usually the overvest has a hood and the combo comes with another hood for when you are using the full
suit on it's own

You would wear a 3mm hooded vest because thicker would create flooding issues that is
why you go with an overvest usually the overvest has a hood and the combo comes with another hood for when you are using the full
suit on it's own

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks very much!

Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom