What thickness should I buy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Miami, FL. I want to purchase a wetsuit, but I'm not sure what thickness to buy. I have been told to buy a .5mm or 1mm. I have also been told to buy a 3mm. I plan on only buying 1 wetsuit and would like to avoid heatstroke and hypothermia. :) Need advice from my fellow Floridians. Thanks.

Didn't even realize you need one over there in that warm water bath of yours..........7mm over here man.

kikit24:
Hi, I live in Miami, FL. I want to purchase a wetsuit, but I'm not sure what thickness to buy. I have been told to buy a .5mm or 1mm. I have also been told to buy a 3mm. I plan on only buying 1 wetsuit and would like to avoid heatstroke and hypothermia. :) Need advice from my fellow Floridians. Thanks.

I spend most of the year in a 3mm, never anything thinner. From about December to mid-May I'm in a 7mm, or on days when the wind is cold a drysuit.

3mm full suit. Do not get a shortie under any circumstances. Things sting.

I've been asking around lately and many people have told me that 3mm is too much. They've recommended a skin suit or 1mm. I think I'll go with the 1mm. I'm thinking of purchasing an Akona 1mm full suit. If anyone has used this suit please tell me what you think about it. Thank you.

kikit24:
I would buy a full 3mm jumpsuit,in winter you,ll need a hood and 6mm on your chest.Peace

Can't have just one ...
If you shop around you'll be able to get a high quality suit at prices reasonable enough to be able to afford a couple of the critters.
It also depends on how thin skinned you are. I'm fine in a 0.5mm when my buddy has chattering teeth in a 3mm.
I'd suggest a 3mm jumpsuit w/3mm hooded vest, then maybe a 0.5mm for the "hot" days.
You may want to add a lycra skin for the bathwater days.

kikit24:

Click me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom