What thickness for the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spreckelsen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be diving in the Florida Keys in mid July. Do you normally where a wetsuit when diving there? Or is it too warm?
I am usually cold so i am thinking need something. I was going to go with my 2.5mm full. Will that be good or am i going to be too warm?

That time of the year I wear a skin

I usually dive with a 3mm...if you're diving reefs you could probably even just use a skin (I use a 3mm and am not hot). If you're diving wrecks I think your 2.5 will be just fine.

i'm never too warm!
i have been too cold!!!!!!!
i always wear a 3/2 in tropics
long dives and multiple dives...
if youre too warm,un zip for a bit and rinse out!!!
be comfortable!
have fun
yaeg

Water temps will be in the mid to upper 80's... figure 87 as a good guess on my part :wink:

There will be no thermoclines unless you are diving deeper than 100 ft. and even at that it is likely only a few degrees cooler, not a "holy cow!" cooler.

While I could get by with a skin or board shorts+tshirt, I generally have a 2mm or 3mm shorty on since I do 3 or 4 dives a day.

I wear a rash guard underneath to protect my arms from the sun on the surface.

If you're prone to being cold or simply have an older, more worn out wetsuit, a full 2mm or so couldn't hurt. Good protection against rubbing against stuff too.

If you run towards the warmer side, a skin, full 1mm or 3mm shorty isn't too bad.

I will be diving in the Florida Keys in mid July. Do you normally where a wetsuit when diving there? Or is it too warm?
I am usually cold so i am thinking need something. I was going to go with my 2.5mm full. Will that be good or am i going to be too warm?

I'd wear a 3mm suit

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

On the way home from a day of four dives in key largo now! Our boats had everything from women in bathing suits to one couple with Lycra skins under 5 ml full suits with hoods. My wife and I each did a 3 ml shorty and did fine. Some divers with rash guards were a little chilly after the second consecutive dive.

For the shallow reefs I go with just a rashguard. Sometimes it is uncomfortably warm for me until around 40ft. For wrecks a 1.5mm as I get a little chilly on the second dive, but you could easily go with a 2 or 3 as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom