What the heck??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khblair

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
really odd question here - I've noticed that the last couple of times that I've dove in the pool that the next day my eyebrows hurt (yes, I said eyebrows). they are tender to the touch. its so odd. It's not from any kind of squeeze I wouldn't think, I had to constantly blow through my nose last night to keep my mask clear (ever had those days when it just doesn't want to seal properly?). any ideas?:confused:

Is the Skirt of your mask resting on your eyebrows?

My thought was the mask skirt as well (I had my mask on way too tight during my first check-out dive, and my instructor came over and adjusted it for me at 30ft). Still, I must have had a pretty clear red outline on my face for the rest of the day!

Are you finning around with your eyebrows raised all the time? The 'deer in the headlight' look? (Not to be funny). That could stress out some muscles

good thoughts
deer in headlights - no, im pretty relaxed.
skirt too low - maybe, not sure, i'll have to pay attention to that next time.
too tight - dont think so, didnt have the "hickey" marks and i learned early on that tighter is not better (on so many levels)
any more ideas out there?

Hey there,

This may sound unrelated but I sleep with a sleep mask on, it rests lightly across my eye area. I've noticed in the mornings that my eyebrows are "messed up" and hurt. The mask pushes my eyebrows against the direction they naturally grow during the night when I am laying with my face against the pillow.

If your mask skirt is coming in contact with your brow area and pushing your eyebrows "in the wrong direction" for a while, it can make them tender and sore.

Hope this helps.

Fuzz

Does it only happen in the pool? Or, have you only been in the pool lately? New mask?

My first thought was that your mask skirt was on your eyebrows, but since you are experienced I would think you would notice that your mask was on differently. My second thought is that it is facial muscles being tense. Perhaps, you are tensing your forehead muscles in concentration due to it being a class.

Well, I know that if I don't shave a week or so before diving, that my mask will leak and when my Eyebrows hurt after a dive, it is time to trim them also. :eyebrow:

Ok, now this maybe way off.... but do you pluck your eyebrows?? Maybe possible that the chlorine in the water might be having an effect on the open follicles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom