What the h#!! Ikelite........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorgy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry for the title, but I am upset right now.........

So I just got my S90 Ikelite housing and I tried to fit my S&S tray to it (the one that came with my YS-110's).........

Much to my surprise the Ikleite housing does not use the standard tripod mount but instead two threaded inserts 3 inches apart..........

What gives????????

Any ideas on how to deal with this???????

Thinking about a DIY solution..............

I know that two mounts may be more secure than one but non-standard stuff drives me crazy.............

Thanks.............M

Wow..that stinks...Must be a way to retrofit it.....Can you post pictures???

Here is a picture..........

M

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 307
Is there any adapter/mounting tray from Ikelite?? Gees that seems so senseless....I wonder if it is becuz of the weight of the strobes & arms? All my gear has the center hole only....

I am not sure why you would be upset that a Sea and Sea adapter didn't fit on an Ikelite housing. The battery from my car doesn't fit in my wife's car (and they are from the same manufacturer). In any case, the way I would go is through ULCS, they will have a solution for you which will be simpler than having a machine shop make you an adapter (unless you have a friendly local machinist). Making a delrin adapter would take someone maybe 20 minutes at a shop.
Bill

I am upset because the S&S tray worked with both my Canon and Olympus housings.....not to mention my buddy's Sony.........

The center hole is the "standard tripod" mount which is a camera industry standard, diameter and thread pitch, which every camera sold has....the Ike inserts are not even compatible with the thread.....

Ikelite is doing this to force a purchase of their tray/arm system.......

But I will go DIY and not buy Ike again........

In the case of the car battery, you can buy a battery from any of many manufactures that will fit your car.....you an not limited to "one" battery that fits......

M

I know that two mounts may be more secure than one but non-standard stuff drives me crazy.............
..........M

There is no standard, Ikelite is as much a standard as anybody. They have been around forever and this is the way they do it. The two screws are far better than one, greater security, durability and stability.

The screw size is 12X24 I believe. Now that is non standard, I had to order some.

You will have to make an adapter like this, this one is Inon mount to Ikelite tray:

DSCF0028.jpg

By the way, this is my new FIX90 housing, notice it has two screws and no they do not line up with the Ikelite tray I have:

DSCF0005.jpg

Inon, yeppers, uses yet another standard, if you look closely, the Inon adapter here on the Canon housing also has two attachment holes and they are metric and they are different from the FIX and the Ikelite! spacing:

DSCF0003.jpg

Also, Ikelite is made in the USA, the other stuff is not. There really is no standard. One attachment point is not strong enough for the weight of wet lenses and other accessories, that is why the Inon adapter has two holes and a support for the lens.

I probably have a couple of screws I can send you. You may find them in stainless in a well stocked hardware store but the 12 size is not so often used. I do wish they had used 1/4 inch.

Make an adapter from common aluminum bar stock (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace), about .125 thickness. Drill and countersink the bar stock for stainless #12 screws to match the Ikelite housing so it can sit flush. Drill and tap for the 1/4X20 into the .125 bar stock to attach to your tray. Very simple. If you absolutely cannot do it I guess I could make you one.

The Ikelite housing is a better piece of equipment than you had before, it is made to be durable and to work and last.

N

Last edited:
You post is very helpful.........thanks........

I plan to make an adapter plate as you describe......

I agree the Ike housing is better than the Canon housing and two mounts are better than one.......

For me it is frustrating that Ike does not do a better job of describing their housing mounting "system" in more detail on the website.........or providing an adapter plate as describe above so a DIY solution is not required.......

I have had and used three different housings and two different tray/strobes combos.....all with the "tripod" standard.......so I was very surprised when I looked that the bottom of the Ike housing.......

Even the first strobe I used, a rental in Bonaire, has the single mount…….

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom