What Temperature for H Valves and redundant first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks came in. Hose routing is piece of cake

I would always choose a T-Valve on a mono setup. Something like Polaris T Ventil-

Our European friends may be surprised to learn that (to the best of my knowledge) those are not available with US tank threads! Same with the many kinds of Y valves that are so common in Europe. They don’t exist here in the same way even though they did a some point in the distant past.

For the US, the H valve is basically the only thing that is still produced for two-first-stages-on-one-tank configurations. And those have largely fallen out of favor. Backmount or sidemount doubles seem to occupy that segment in the US with few using H valves.

Valves are offset. The side valve rotated freely as well so I could mess with it more. All in all, pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 6A462C28-BD14-4E67-A85C-6D9F161D7B74.jpeg
    6A462C28-BD14-4E67-A85C-6D9F161D7B74.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 120
Without the regs

Attachments

• 8A39E27D-A6F3-49B9-ABC9-9089F1B9C32D.jpeg
    8A39E27D-A6F3-49B9-ABC9-9089F1B9C32D.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 123
Is that a dedicated H valve rather than an add on to a doubles right or left valve? Having the knob sticking straight out the end and hiding behind the hoses could be a bit complex to blindly get at I suppose.

I bought my twin lp 85 steel tanks as a doubles set with a thermo manifold setup already on it so I plan to get the thermo brand right and left H valves which use the standard right and left double tank valves and just screw in where the manifold would go with the second knob sticking up about where it would normally be located as an isolator valve.

It makes sense to use an H valve for me as I already have 2 identical 1st and second stages, already have the main tank valves and only need the 2 H valve add ons themselves. See here if you don't know what I am talking about: Thermo Nitrox Ready Valves | Dive Gear Express®
I dive with a single tank only buddy so its silly to lug 2 steel tanks around at the same time, but also silly not to make use of the equipment I already own and gain redundancy at the same time. I should mention in Wisconsin its about the same deal as Germany where you practically expect to be pushing aside icebergs at depth especially early in the season.

I am guessing hose routing difficulties are very regulator model dependent and I am wondering if some of these people who couldn't reach the second valve knob have the range of motion to even reach the first knob.

I wouldn't suggest someone go out any buy everything to make an H valve setup from scratch without a specific reason to need it, but I am always surprised that people are so quick (and somewhat overly aggressive) to shoot the usage of them down.

Back
Top Bottom