What Temperature for H Valves and redundant first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok...almost geared up enough to dive around here in Germany. Got the Exodry Drysuits and like them a lot. Same goes for the backplate and wing setup. I’m now deciding on tanks and valves. Seems like the general consensus is that H valves are only really good for recreational cold water diving....which describes my local plans.

My question is, what water temperature should I be using the H valves at? Seem like I read somewhere that 10C was the cutoff for “cold water”.

Hello fellow german. :wink: Yes <=10C is considered as "cold water".
Which would be every local lake, at depth.

I dove in 1C water with just my normal set up and had no issues. If you get an environmentally sealed first stage you should be fine without an H valve.

In Germany you are typically always diving "cold water". Even in the summer the bottom of our lakes stay cold.
I would advise everyone who is diving regularly in german lakes to use 2 first stages. In a few lakes it is even required by the dive op to dive with 2 seperate first stages that can be closed by yourself in the water. Hemmor or Messinghausen for example.

Also i would not use an H-Valve. I find it dificult to reach under water and it is a nightmare to have nice hose routing. I would always choose a T-Valve on a mono setup. Something like Polaris T Ventil-

I dove in 1C water with just my normal set up and had no issues. If you get an environmentally sealed first stage you should be fine without an H valve.

I only had 2 Free flows in 300 cold water dives. One was at the start of a dive and with a D12 so easy to fix.
The other was in a strong current with a lot of boat trafic. I was realy happy i had a H valve and my buddy was fast with closing it (H valves are realy hard to manipulate alone, pilotmaverick is right about the T one)

Its not because it doesn’t happen Often it wil never happen. In europe its very common to have 2 first stages even without diving doubles.

I usually use H-valves in cold water. I am pretty confident a single Apeks first stage is fine for one diver but may not be for two divers especially if one is panicked. It also makes it easy to switch from a single tank to doubles as the regs are set up exactly the same.

If your regulator is CE-certified for cold water use, it should be good down to 0°C. H-valves area great idea (I use one) for carrying a second complete reg. but something of an anathema to those outside of mainland Europe.

Thanks all. I went with the H valve. Didn’t know about the T valve until already ordered. I’ll see how it goes. Looks like I need another 1st stage reg. I’m using Scubapro mk17 EVO regulators so should be covered.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom