What tanks are good for Deco tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeseTD

Reaction score
Please for give it this topic has been posted befor this is my first time posting and but i have been reading tons of Thread. I have been loving every one those far for all the great info and knowlege that i have been learning.
Well here is gos in a AoW diver right now and would realy like to get into dual take. Was thinking of getting PST P7-65. This would be the tanks i think that would do well for now. Thy fall in the center of the dual 72 cf and the 40cf debate on what is the best nitro dual tank
My big question is if and when i get to deeper water and longer bottem time and i jump up to a larger compasity tank as dual are the 65cf that i had dualed befor going to work ok, good or great for deco tanks? This post is alittle becouse im a poor man now and tring to get the most use of what i buy for now to still work for me down the road. IF there is a better way of getting dual for a small bubbler now and still be able to use those tanks as deco latter let me know!!
Thanks for all the info that you all have been type on this sight im loving every thread that i have read :)

Most people agree that steel tanks make a poor choice for a deco tank because of the negative weight of them.

The E7-65's are likely completely in adiquate for decos bottles or stages. It dousn't help much that they are HP tanks - harder to get a PP full fill, probably requiering a booster - especialy when you start getting into higher O2 %'s.

AL40's and 80's are the bottles of choice by most.

Some people will use old 72's for O2 drop bottles in caves since they don't have to carry them more than 20 feet underwater.

Hummm well it a good thing that i asked.. i was thinking that i was on the right path with the 65cf E-7. Guess i will have to rethink what tanks that i would like to start out as my first dual tanks set up. That could also be changed over to stage or deco tanks when i get more exp and training. May be go with the old 72cf or a PST LP-80 since both are low presser and i think that the PST LP-80 is just -1.5 or so empty. Dont think that i will be dualing AL for my scuba diving in the Puget Sound.

ReeseTD once bubbled...
Hummm well it a good thing that i asked.. i was thinking that i was on the right path with the 65cf E-7. Guess i will have to rethink what tanks that i would like to start out as my first dual tanks set up. That could also be changed over to stage or deco tanks when i get more exp and training. May be go with the old 72cf or a PST LP-80 since both are low presser and i think that the PST LP-80 is just -1.5 or so empty. Dont think that i will be dualing AL for my scuba diving in the Puget Sound.

As has been said, steel tanks don't work for deco. It doesn't matter what size they are, they don't work.

Also, 72s are very limited doubles diving, as are 80s in cold water. I suggest you take a class in advanced diving and get some more information before you buy doubles.

MD

Well let the learning begin what class would you sugest taking that would classify as advanced class. I have taken OW, AOW and next month will be taking my first Nitrox class. Is there a class that gos over the dos and dont of dual tanks? If so it will be my next class after my Nitrox course.
I do now have the concept that you cant use steel tanks as deco or stage THANKS:wink:

ReeseTD once bubbled...
Well let the learning begin what class would you sugest taking that would classify as advanced class. I have taken OW, AOW and next month will be taking my first Nitrox class. Is there a class that gos over the dos and dont of dual tanks? If so it will be my next class after my Nitrox course.
I do now have the concept that you cant use steel tanks as deco or stage THANKS:wink:

Advanced Nitrox and Deco would be the logical steps after your nitrox class, depending on your current experience level and number of dives. Some of those class enrollments are limited based on how many dives you have and other experience. I don't consider AOW as advanced BTW. You might want to visit www.iantd.com and see what their various classes entail for equipment and experience. These classes are not generally cheap, nor is the equipment you will need.

You should also realise that you start talking fairly serious $$$ when you get into the more technical type of diving.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
You should also realise that you start talking fairly serious $$$ when you get into the more technical type of diving.

I made a list, after finishing advanced trimix, of the gear needed, assuming you bought all the right equipment from day one.

Needless to say, names like Oceanic and Mares would not be among any of your purchases. Instead, Apix or ScubaPro would be more common gear that you would have.

If you did this, then all of your basic open water equipment for NDL diving would run in the neighborhood of about $5000 dollars.

Then to add the additional deco bottles and regs and the drysuit would run another $5000 dollars.

MD's point is well taken. I get a total of $10,000 for all of the technical gear. Best case.

What's an "Apix".

Seriously, while small doubles are nice for NDL dives, they are less useful for deco diving.

You should also consider the equipment of your team. Matched tanks make it easier to monitor your gas supply. The guys I do deco dives with use PST 104's or the new 130's, except for one guy who is smaller and uses PST 95's.

You've gotten good advice to seek additional training before buying doubles. Before you start down the tech road, I'd strongly recommend a Rescue course. I'd also add GUE's DIR-F, Recreational Trimix and Tech 1 to the list of useful courses worth considering.

double e8-130's work great for me and you wont out grow them.
a pair of 40 alum. for deco gas is great, if your not gunning for anything and plan on staying on the bottom for awhile. if I plan
to gun and run i usually just carry one deco gas.

ReeseTD once bubbled... Please for give it this topic has been posted befor this is my first time posting and but i have been reading tons of Thread. I have been loving every one those far for all the great info and knowlege that i have been learning.
Well here is gos in a AoW diver right now and would realy like to get into dual take. Was thinking of getting PST P7-65. This would be the tanks i think that would do well for now. Thy fall in the center of the dual 72 cf and the 40cf debate on what is the best nitro dual tank
My big question is if and when i get to deeper water and longer bottem time and i jump up to a larger compasity tank as dual are the 65cf that i had dualed befor going to work ok, good or great for deco tanks? This post is alittle becouse im a poor man now and tring to get the most use of what i buy for now to still work for me down the road. IF there is a better way of getting dual for a small bubbler now and still be able to use those tanks as deco latter let me know!!
Thanks for all the info that you all have been type on this sight im loving every thread that i have read :)
Hi Reese,
I would imagine you'll end up with either 95s or 104s (or the newer equivalents) as backgas tanks since that is what most of your teammates will have and you don't want to be the weak link.

I'm assuming you will be diving dry.

I like the 72s for dry no-stop dives and the candyass deco diving I do. I don't like committing myself to long hangs in the ocean, so the capacity isn't an issue since dives get turned on time, not pressure. Still, I sometimes have to take an AL80 of bottomgas as a stage bottle and that may not sit well with your team.

For deco gas I use a single AL40 and might go for an AL30 if I had it to do over. Steel tanks are too negative for use as sling bottles.

For diving wet with doubles, I use AL80s and don't go into required stops.

If you want to save money, you're taking up the wrong pursuit. You might get two 104s and dive them as singles for a while. I wouldn't buy 65s at all. They just don't have that many uses and all of those can be done pretty well by AL80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom