what tank 2 get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamebug818

Reaction score
Southern california all ways want a dive buddy
# of dives
50 - 99
hi iam about to get a tank and have a din valve regulator and was wondering what type of tank 2 get, i have previously dove with al 80s with 3000psi is this the type of din valve tank i should get srry for the newbie question
flamebug818

Flamebug818:
hi iam about to get a tank and have a din valve regulator and was wondering what type of tank 2 get, i have previously dove with al 80s with 3000psi is this the type of din valve tank i should get srry for the newbie question
flamebug818

Just depends on what volume you want, and if you want steel or aluminum. An Aluminum 80 is the most common tank... They run about $125 with a standard valve... be about $20 more to get a convertable Din valve instead.

Or if you need more air... you can spend bunches more and get into 100's, 119 etc. Really depends on your diving needs - not your reg. And for that matter, you can simply thrown a din converter on your reg, then use just a standard yoke valve.

What Larry said.
It depends on what you sort of diving you are doing. Post some info about yourself and then it's easier to get opinions that might match your diving.

Please research the advantages of diving steel, you'll need less weight, which is always a good thing in my book.

tank specifics come down to the following:
1. How much air do you want?
2. How much is it worth to get weight off your belt/out of your BC?
alum is least expensive but may be more buoyant (4 lbs for an 80 cf)
LP steel is in the middle of pricing, but some are like bricks-you take weight of but consider that I've reviewed specs on some cylinders that you would need to dive with a lift bag to stay off the bottom. Review the buoyancy characteristics carefully.
most HP steel offer some of the best buoyancy characteristics but at a price that is 2-3 times the price of aluminium cylinders.

Each diver has specific needs and cash to spend. Hopefully I've helped

3. Availability of high pressuere air (for HP steel if thats your choice)

There is also the option to buy a neutral AL80. Don't know how well they work but I am thinking about going for it. I was looking at the PST E7-80 but I think I am going to pass.

crpntr133:
There is also the option to buy a neutral AL80. Don't know how well they work but I am thinking about going for it. I was looking at the PST E7-80 but I think I am going to pass.

I might tell you to shy away from the neutral AL80. They accomplish that by making the walls thicker, which means it's heavier, but then to get the same volume, you have to pump them up to 3300. Problem is most fill stations will simply toss them on with the other standard AL80's and fill them to 3000 psi and you'll end up with an aluminum 72 instead of an aluminum 80. I don't know if it's worth it to take 2 pounds off your belt.

I can warn you that if you decide to get a E7-100, you might be waiting a while. Mine's been on backorder for a long time.

Flamebug818:
flamebug818

You have three choises to make
1) din or yoke
2) steel or AL
2a) If steel, hiigh or low pressure
3) size.

For the most part you can make the above decisions independent of one an other

You can put a DIN valve on any tank as long as the fill pressure is 3440 or less.
Most any tank you will buy will be 3440 or less with some exceptions DIN or Yoke
valce in indipendent of the tank. You can even get a convertable valve.

To choose a tank, first determine if you like steel. Steel tanks are more usfull if you dive in chilly water and ware a thick exposure suit as they require less lead weight then AL tanks.

Next determine how much volume you need. Do you always come up with 1000 PSI? If so you don't need a larger tank.

There is no "best" tank. I have three low pressure steel tanks. a 95, 80 and 72. I use
them all. the 72 is nice for shallow sites or if there is a hike down a steep path to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom