What suit for Bahamas Liveaboard in April ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerico

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning a trip on the Explorer Ventures Caribbean Explorer II for April 17-24
This will be their Southern Bahamas Itinerary
I asked what to expect for water temps and they said around 75
We will be doing up to 5 dives a day

What suit would you guys recommend ?
Full 3MM
Full 5MM
Full 7MM
Full 3MM with a vest or torso warmer

I have a 3MM Pinnacle Merino that I'm very happy with.
So I'm leaning more toward a vest or torso warmer.
But would consider buying a 5MM Merino also.
I use a skin so I can get my suit on and off easy.

Thanks for your suggestions !

If you suit is a one piece sut with a back zipper, I recommend you find a 3 mm hooded vest that will fit over the outside of your suit. That should probably be enough to keep you warm.

I was a last-minute sign-on to an April charter (northern Exumas) a few years ago and made the trip with a Polartec (3mm equivalent) and a hooded vest. When I got down there and heard about potential water temps, I bought a "Bahama" shorty to go along with the other layers. Water temps ended up 77-78 the entire week - wore the polartec on all dives and added the hooded vest for night dives only - think I wore the shorty once just to get some use out of it.

Think you'll be fine with the 3mm unless you get cold easily. I did a 10-day last summer in the same area you are going - water temps were 80-82. Wore the polartec on night dives only. If the weather is right, you're going to love it. Conception Is. is great, exceeded only by southern dives at San Sal.

I did a Bahamas liveaboard in February and wore a 3MM full the whole times without any real problems. I think if I were to do it again I would bring a 3mm shorty that I could put over the full suit to give me a bit more warmth as the dives stack up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom