• Welcome to ScubaBoard

  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What steps to become a boat captain?

Discussion in 'Liveaboards and Charter Boats' started by DCali, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. JZA

    JZA Angel Fish

    Thanks - I saw basically the same thing on the MSQ (Maritime Safety Queensland) web site. Introduction to a career in the maritime industry (Maritime Safety Queensland)

    So I was pretty sure that I could get an Australian license even as an American... although, I don't ONLY want to work in Australia. So I guess my real question is, what country to get licensed if I would like to work in multiple countries over the course of time (specifically, the US and Australia, but not limited to those)? Would I need a separate license for each country? Is there any type of license that holds some validity in multiple countries? Or is the whole idea just rediculous, and I should just stick with one place?
  2. Wookie

    Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

    So, if you have a US license, you can receive endorsements from other countries that aren't necessarily IMO countries. The popular ones are Belize (INMARBE), Panama (PMCD), and Marshall Islands. They all make a great ballyhoo about what strong standards they all have. My wife got her Belize endorsement by sending a copy of her US license, 90 days of recent sea time, and $135US in certified funds and lo and behold, she had a 5 year Belize endorsement. The Belize endorsement lets her sail on anything with a Belize flag.

    Real answer is that you're probably going to have to get a real license somewhere then go take the local tests. I notice that Australia wants you to have local knowledge, so I might assume that you would go with a Master's ticket and serve as deck staff for a period of time, get signed off, and take the Australia test. My cousin is serving on her first mate unlimited ticket in Brazil right now on a 28/28 rotation on a drill ship. Her US license is considered equivalent to her Brazil license for 2 more years, then you must be Brazilian to serve in Brazilian waters. She is first mate on the deepwater drill ship Discovery.

    You are in absolutely the best place to get licensed. The Hono REC is the most laid back helpful place in the world. I don't know what they smoke there, but they are not like any other REC I've ever dealt with. Their motto includes a customer service statement. My wife's renewal just went through Hono, they seemed to have time to review it, West Virginia must be backed up.
  3. JZA

    JZA Angel Fish

    Here's the full scoop, just in case anyone out there is interested in the same thing as me:

    A ship's master is considered to be a "skilled occupation" in high demand that will qualify a foreigner to obtain a Skilled Migration Visa. (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf)

    The AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) is responsible for assessing foreign qualifications and issuing Certificates of Recognition. (AMSA :: Australian Maritime Safety Authority)

    The AMSA will ONLY issue a Certificate of Recognition for foreign qualifications earned in countries on this list: (AMSA :: Australian Maritime Safety Authority)

    There are three groups of countries: a) those with a bilateral agreement with Australia (both countries recognize each other's credentials), b) those that Australia recognizes, but don't recognize Australian credentials, and c) those that recognize Australian credentials, but are not recognized by Australia.

    So, if you have a ship's master credential from a country on list A or B, the AMSA can issue a certificate of recognition and you can get a Skilled Migration Visa, allowing you to immigrate to Australia.

    Since I'm from the US (recognized by Australia, but doesn't recognize Australia [typically American]), I could earn a USCG license, and work in both Australia and the US. Unfortunately, we're dicks when it comes to immigration, so an Australian couldn't come to the US and do the same.

Share This Page