What stage cylinders are people using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frozenwarp

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey guys just wondering what tanks people are using for stages, both brands, sizes and models please

and what do you like or dislike about them, bouyancy etc

cheers in advance,
Bradley

Luxfer Aluminum 80.

Breathe a little gas out of it and it tucks away nicely in the armpit.

All the best, James

Al80s for bottom mix. I am not picky, the Luxfers and Catalinas both work fine for me. They are both heavy bricks with EAN in them and both float nice enough with trimix in them.

Al40s for deco mixes. Luxfers and Hymarks, can't tell any differences. Never tried a Catalina 40.

Mostly Luxfer AL 80s, but I recently started using a Hymark AL 72 and it is superb as a stage.

It is slightly heavier but does not have the same annoying tail high traits as an AL 80 after you breathe it down a bit. It is also 6.9" in diameter and while it does not sound like a lot less than a 7.25" AL 80, it does a much better job of disappearing in the water once you clip it on.

Has anyone here ever tried an AL63 as a stage? I think I'd read they don't "behave" that well as a stage, but have never tried and was not sure (and I have an AL63 that my son has outgrown gathering dust....).

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom