What spg do you use and do you recommend it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is because pressure gauges are much less accurate at the ends (top and bottom) of the scale.

I have a question regarding the SPG's, why does the gauge go all the way to 5000 PSI? On a standard aluminum tank, that's 2000 more than you need. I have HP100's myself, so now it's 1500 more than needed.

Even with overfilling, it's still a large unused part of the dial going to waste.

A 4000 PSI gauge would be a better use of gauge face real estate. You'd have to be really inattentive to overfill the HP tanks to peg the needle.

I do know there are some very high pressure tanks though, but they are very rare.

That is because pressure gauges are much less accurate at the ends of the scale.

I've been renting gear during some years until I started to buy my own gear, once I realized that scuba is the thing I want to do most.
Normally all rented gear has a console with SPG and depth meter.
One of the first things I bought was my PDC. When I bought my reg set, I had to decide if I wanted a backup depth meter together with the SPG.
I went with the Single SPG and I decided buy the TUSA. Very nice and nothing to complain.

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : SCA-120 PLATINA PRESSURE GAUGE [SCA-120]
Tusa Platina Pressure Gauge @ Divers-Supply.com

Attachments

• TUSA Platima 5596.jpg
    TUSA Platima 5596.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 330
Since the best gauge has been mentioned......for a long time the Uwatec Master Diver SPG was touted as the best, I've had 4, and of those, 3 lost their zero, reading between 3 and 5 hundred on empty.
Probably caused by being dropped and a cog or two jumping, not a good record for the "best". I had better luck with the plastic Uwatecs (or Parkway or Prosub or whoever put their name on it).

I like the HOG guages and even though I'm using 4 of the white face I'm switching to black purely out of personal choice and the way my eyes seem to react to bright lights at night. Damn I hate getting older!

The glow from the white gauges at night, in some of our low vis situations, after being hit with one of my lights is so bright that it messes with my night vision and seems to wash out the numbers. Not a gauge defect but a 52 yr old eyes problem. The black face ones don't affect them as much since it's the bars and numbers that light up. Plus the black ones do look cool as hell.

I have had one customer have an issue with a guage that developed a leak and it was admitted that it "may have been dropped". One phone call and I had a replacement on the way to her the next day. Chris does not mess around with stuff like that. It's why I have no problem taking one out of my stock and sending it to a person who has a problem. I know it will get replaced.

If you did not buy it from me all you'll pay is shipping. Send the old one back and I'll deal with the replacement from HOG issue. I'm trying to keep at least one or two of each type in stock.

OMS 63mm PSI/BAR combo gauge. It is a big and heavy beast. I have a DIR set-up with it clipped to the left waist D ring. The best thing is that the scale is color coded with green bar down to 1500, then yellow and then red at about 600. PSI is on the outside and BAR is on the inside. It is large enough that you do not have to mess with unclipping it to see exacly where you stand. Just glance down and that's it. I can glance at my wife's from 6 feet away and can tell where she is on air and vice versa since I am more of the air hog.

Not for everyone, but we love it.

I have a question regarding the SPG's, why does the gauge go all the way to 5000 PSI?
They go to 300 bar (4351 psi). If you're going to use the same spg and just change the faceplate to create an imperial psi version, it's better scaling to mark the faceplate to an even 5000 instead of a 4350 or 4500. And it is not so uncommon for some fellows to pump up their tanks close to or around 300 bar. L6X® Hoop-wrap cylinder specifications - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

I went with the Single SPG and I decided buy the TUSA. Very nice and nothing to complain.

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : SCA-120 PLATINA PRESSURE GAUGE [SCA-120]
Tusa Platina Pressure Gauge @ Divers-Supply.com
I've had two of these plastic ones. The newer one was Tusa, and the other is branded something else (Suunto?) but they're evidently from the same manufacturer. I use these two on slinged deco/stage bottles. Never had a problem with the older Suunto one but the reg that was attached to the Tusa all of a sudden started acting weird.

My Mk10 first stage would pop ever time I took a breath. It sounded like the same pop that you usually get when you initially pressurize your regs, but it was happening on every breath and it was affecting the work of breathing. So I serviced it, gave it an acid wash, O2 cleaned it with detergent and TSP, replaced all dynamic orings (and some static) and the hp seat, and finally applied generous amounts of Christolube. The piston had some sticky reddish looking residue (sugar like stickyness but it was tasteless to my tastebuds). I did not give it too much though because the thing was water soluble and cleaned up really easy. I also cleaned up the Tusa spg and replaced the spool orings. It was working beautifully after that.

About a week later, I got my hands into some static orings I was missing and decided to open the reg again to replace this one too. When I took out the hp hose, I noted some reddish droplets on high pressure port. I had not taken this reg diving since it was serviced so I knew this gunk was not coming from the ocean. I took out the spg from the hose, and there were droplets inside the spg. I shook it more and more tiny droplets came out of the gauge. When these droplets dry out, they dry out sticky.

I called Leisure Pro (the vendor) and explained it to them what was happening and they told me to send it over for replacement/credit. and I did and got from them some comfobite mouth pieces and 6" hp hoses I was missing. I then bought this more traditional 2.5" brass and glass SPG from Pirahna and haven't had problems since.

2.5-Tech-Spg264-3535.jpg

I use many SPG's.....

My favorite are the two with the bolt snaps.....

The large Dive Rite is my cold water drysuit rig and the small Highland is my warm water travel rig.....

Truth be told they all work just fine.....I just have a family of 4 that dives so I can justify buying lots of gear...:)

Wife likes the Mares because it is pretty.......

Daughter likes the two gauge Cressi - even though she has a wrist computer.....

Son could care less, he just dives.......

The Sherwood BAR gauge is a super work horse for stages.....simple got air don't got air guage.....

The Tusa is nice because it only goes to 4000 psi so the graduations are larger.......

M

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 315
Wife with the Tusa.......

The gauge is so easy to read......even in the pic.....

M

Attachments

• TCI Anna.jpg
    TCI Anna.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 295
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom