What size wing for new BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is dumpable weight preferable to a balanced rig? Real question
In some situations, like a failed bladder in a BC, in may be preferable to find a way to get more positive quickly.

Dumpable weight doesn't have to be on a weight belt. Most BCs have a way to carry weight that can be dumped.

That being said, I still use a weight belt most of the time. I also frequently carry some weight on my BC. Weight pockets are available that allow you to add trim weights to any 2" web. My current deep water rig is 6# on the BC & the rest on my belt.

I prefer to carry my weight in more than one place. If I do need to dump weight, I will probably prefer not to dump all of it at once, especially if I am wearing a thick suit. Loosing 20# all at once at 100', can present significant challenges when trying not to pop up to the surface uncontrollably at a deco stop or safety stop. In fact, making the stops may become impossible if you have dumped a big enough chunk of weight.

Dumping weight in a panic because you want to pop to the surface quickly is a very dangerous move. Accidentally loosing a very heavy weight belt at depth can be a dangerous situation. All risks must be considered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom