what size of pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back when I used to dive one I had a 13 c.f. pony, however mine was for emergencies only and never got used as a deco or stage bottle.

Primary use is spearfishing in 100' or so of water, strictly as a bailout bottle.

It'll get me to the surface with a 3 minute safety stop from any NDL dive that I do today, assuming I'm not too freaked. If I am too freaked then it will get me quite close and an ESA from 15' is a lot better than one from 110!

I rig and sling it like a stage.

I use a 30 cu ft pony. Its a little big, but OK. I use it for diving wrecks in the 60'+ range (when I'm not diving doubles). It gives me enough extra gas to feel secure, and not worry...

I use a 13. It's rather minimal but it travels easier than the options.

Used strictly as a bail out when over 100 feet deep when not wearing doubles. Mounted slung like a stage.

dave

I dive solo so mine is redundancy for emergency ascents only. I either tank mount it (alters my trim enough to interfere with videotaping) or sling it (if I don't expect to be crawling on the bottom or into crevices after a subject to video).

Always use it on dives of 70' or greater.

Dr. Bill

I have several, from a tiny ½ cubic footer, a 6, 13, 20, & 30. Sometimes I'll use a 72 as a bailout, sometimes the 30 gets used as the main.
A company that I used to work for required bailouts on ALL dives, even the ones in water shallow enough to stand up in. That's what the baseball size ½ cubic footer was for.:wink:
Most of the time the 6 gets used, but I'm partial to the 20 footers (converted steel O2 bottles) if there's any depth or penetration involved.

Before moving to doubles I used a 13cft in a stage bottle configuration. I eventually decided that it was either doubles or singles...the in between stuff was really a dive that required doubles and I was pushing things.

13, bailout only, wear it all the time regardless of depth (shallowness), mounted on ponease mount

Back
Top Bottom