What sidemount tanks should I get next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already have 2 AL80s. However I want to stick with steels for sidemount for now. I'll figure out AL80s when I perfect diving with the steels.

I am planning on making some significant steps towards full cave this winter/spring and want something that would be good to use when I get there.
Sidemount with steel ánd cave diving. Interesting.

chat-restr-s.gif

How would you do this with steel?

Sidemount with steel ánd cave diving. Interesting.

View attachment 683378
How would you do this with steel?
what gas is in the tanks? what size cylinder? With LP50s you might not even have to swing them forward at all.

That is not a small hole and holding the tanks like that isnt even required. Not to mention that someone laid line through that opening (and a chain?!?) and they sure as heck weren't using both hands to swing both tanks forward to do it.

A lot of these types of maneuvers you see on the internet are merely for show.

A lot of these types of maneuvers you see on the internet are merely for show.

Ding ding ding. You nailed it. Why is the goal of every new sm diver to get a photo of themselves supermanning both tanks. The reality is we really don't have to do it too often in most diving we do, even in smaller stuff in Mexico.
I also love the guys that like to show that they can sm 6 tanks and hover still. Who cares. If I need 6 sm tanks to actually do a dive I probably would just pull out my rebreather.

Couple of things. First, I gave my Black Ice away because I could not get the legs to trim out well, even with a pair of turtle fins. Its just a lot of neoprene on your legs and my Weezle undergarment traps a lot of air. Al 80's are fine side mounted, you just have to add some weight to them. I put a 4 pound weight on each, or just clip a weight to each side. I normally use Worthington lp 85's, they do not have as much buoyancy change as the Fabers. Lp50's are my wetsuit tanks, work fine with no weights and a 3 mil suit. I had a set of LP 120's and I did like them for longer dives, they trim out well. Dragging them in and out of a sinkhole, not so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom