What should I look to get out of a Refresher Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimJam2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am AOW with 120+ dives but I haven't dove in 4+ years. I am having my equipment overhauled so I'd like to pool-test it before flying across the country and jumping in the ocean. I have signed up for a PADI refresher course (there is an alternative that I am comfortable with but I won't mention that here).

My goals from the refresher course are:
1) Check out overhauled equipment
2) Practice buoyancy
3) Practice mask clearing.
I plan to re-read the PADI AOW and dive computers manuals on the plane ride out to FLA.
What else am I missing?

Thanks is advance!

It's hard to say. I review all my manuals --go through one a page at a time each day, then move to another book. What about the"20 or so pool skills" from OW course--ei., removing unit or weight belt, CESA, free flow breathing, reg retrieval, etc.? Whatever ones you are not sure of I'd advise to review.

I've done a lot of refreshers in the past as a dive professional. Instead of a rigid one size fits all review, I liked to find out what the individual diver needed and wanted to work on, so they would feel comfortable and be a safe diver the next time they did an open water dive.

Reviewing gear assembly, weighting, dive procedures, mask skills, buoyancy skills, gas management and sharing seemed to be some of the most common things that needed to be addressed. Most of all the refresher is an opportunity to get in the water, practice, get any bugs out and feel comfortable and confident.

(there is an alternative that I am comfortable with but I won't mention that here)
You have a hot tub right? It's OK, you can say it. We've all thought about it.

Seriously though, at 120 dives and a 4 year break I think everything will come back to you pretty fast. Just about any refresher course should give you what you need. The instructor usually customizes it to what you need most.

I've done a lot of refreshers in the past as a dive professional. Instead of a rigid one size fits all review, I liked to find out what the individual diver needed and wanted to work on, so they would feel comfortable and be a safe diver the next time they did an open water dive.

Reviewing gear assembly, weighting, dive procedures, mask skills, buoyancy skills, gas management and sharing seemed to be some of the most common things that needed to be addressed. Most of all the refresher is an opportunity to get in the water, practice, get any bugs out and feel comfortable and confident.
As a divemaster I've done plenty too and agree completely. I recommend talking to the divemaster/instructor first and let them know what you want to get out of it and if there are any skills or checks in particular you're interested in.

EXACTLY! Two years ago we (wife and I) did a PADI Refresher. We had an awesome instructor. She ran us through some basic skills then concentrated on what she saw we needed. ie: I had no issue with mask clearing but my wife did. We both needed help sharing air with the Air/2. We didn't have issues with dropping weights and other things like that. So, a PADI Refresher with a good instructor is money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom