What Should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it comes to air use, I know I burn through air fairly quickly for now. As a relatively new diver, I don't feel at all bad about it it. It is what it is. Coming up with air left is far less likely to ruin somebody's dive than running out of air and having problems somebody else has to deal with.

Then they do exercises in the deep side of the pool (or even during the OW dives) with the students kneeling overweighted with empty BCDs. Then at the end of that part of the class, they have them ascend, which means they have to add air to the BCD.
That explains why I was confused when an instructor told me the dive computer needs to be on the right arm while the diver controls their BCD while ascending.
No matter what they may tell them in the classroom, the fact that they have to add air to the BCD before every ascent during instruction is what they remember.
So anyone who is overdriving their inflator button is a rank novice.

That explains why I was confused when an instructor told me the dive computer needs to be on the right arm while the diver controls their BCD while ascending.
Not exactly. Even though you shouldn't have to ADD air to your BC when ascending, you still need to use the left hand for dumping gas from your BC as it expands, either from the corrugated hose/inflator, or from the dump valve, so it is absolutely recommended to have the computer on your right arm. Also, in case you dump too much while ascending, you might need to add a little bit back to remain neutral, especially to level out on your safety stop.

So anyone who is overdriving their inflator button is a rank novice.

Or has been doing it that way for years.

What happens if I'm right handed? Can I dump air using the right hand?
It's not related to hand dominance. Inflator and dump valve is normally on the left side of the BC. Crossing the hand over is possible, but not comfortable.

So no manufacturer makes dump valves on the right side?
Lots of BCDs have dump valves on the upper right, and also lower right and left. A diver might use the lower ones if he or she is in a head down position. I suppose you could use the upper right dump valve on ascent but as the poster above suggested it's not typically done that way because (in my experience) those dump valves tend to release a lot of air with each pull and are not easy to control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom