What should I expect for annual reg maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if this is a freak of nature incident and whether my expectations are too high when it comes to reg maintenace; should I look for a new LDS to do reg maintenance. I recently had my Atomic B2 regs (two sets) in to a LDS (who is authorized for service by Atomic) for reg maintenance and received a surprise on my first dive. After getting them back from the shop, I left on a trip to the Caymans but was not able to pool test them prior to leaving. (In retrospect, that was my mistake.) Got geared up and went in for the first dive; took a breath of air and got nothing but a big mouthful of salt water. Not a pleasant surprise. I was able to take the reg to a LDS on the island that serviced Atomics and explained to him what happened. He immediately knew what the problem was and proceeded to fix it in only a couple minutes. It turned out that the LDS that did the reg maintenace put the diaphram in backwards and failed to do a vacumm test to detect the error. This was not super serious as I figured it out close to the surface but it makes me reluctant to go back to the LDS for future service. I recognize that errors can happen but given the nature and purpose of a regulator, I'm inclined to think that zero-tolerance for errors is appropriate. Everything should be checked by a qualified individual and then double checked. Testing should be done to ensure it operates properly. Should the LDS have caught this issue; should it have gone out the door in this condition or are my expectations too high? The LDS is a great shop, very well respected and I like them a lot but I'm trying to figure out whether I should use them in the future for service needs. My other set of B2s were serviced fine and worked perfectly. Do I chalk this up to a freak of nature?

ouch. certainly not confidence inspiring. this is actually a very serious error that could cause major harm. i guess everybody makes mistakes. however, this was easily detectable through testing. the fact that the technician does not appear to adhere to a testing protocol is extremely worrisome.

ScubaTexas:
He immediately knew what the problem was and proceeded to fix it in only a couple minutes. It turned out that the LDS that did the reg maintenace put the diaphram in backwards and failed to do a vacumm test to detect the error.

Did you see the guy in Cayman take the reg apart or is that what he said?

I have been a certified Atomic tech since 1999 and you cannot put the diaphragm in upside down with out some major hassels. It would be impossible to tune the reg to not free flow. It sounds to me that the most likley cause would be a lipped up exhaust valve that can be caused by all sorts of things.

D.M.

Scuba Tech:
Did you see the guy in Cayman take the reg apart or is that what he said?

I have been a certified Atomic tech since 1999 and you cannot put the diaphragm in upside down with out some major hassels. It would be impossible to tune the reg to not free flow. It sounds to me that the most likley cause would be a lipped up exhaust valve that can be caused by all sorts of things.

D.M.

Interesting. I did watch him. He unscrewed the purge cover plate, pulled the diaphram and a ring attached to it out, flipped the diaphram around, put it back together, vacumm tested and it was fine.

Given the initial problem, should I send it in for an overall service check again to make sure all the other parameters are correct? I dove it for about 8 days and it worked great after fixing the diaphram.

How many times would you go back to a tire dealer who failed to tighten your lug nuts? I'd complain to the original dealer, ask for compensation for myour expenses and time/trouble while on vacation, and find a new tech. When he refuses any compensation, write a letter to the manufacturer seeking their help. Don't expect to get much other than a little satisfaction that he too will have to deal with his error.

BTW, I'm not specifically familiar with Atomics, but that almost surdely belongs between the diaphram and the cover and the diaphram should seal directly against the case. So, upside down or assembled in the wrong order - the tech failed Reg Serv 101.

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I really like the shop a lot that did the service (and will - actually have -continue to use them for gear purchases) but it sounds like this should have been caught by the tech and that I may need to find a new shop in the DFW area to do the bi-annual service on my Atomic regs.

ScubaTexas:
Thanks for the replies. As I said, I really like the shop a lot that did the service (and will - actually have -continue to use them for gear purchases) but it sounds like this should have been caught by the tech and that I may need to find a new shop in the DFW area to do the bi-annual service on my Atomic regs.

After a little research, I think you are dealing with a shop that values customer satasfiction above all else. So talk to them. I suspect they will bend over backwards to make you happy. I would also expect their tech will get better as a result. SH, but that is two fairly serious service errors that left you with that problem (misassembly and faulty final inspection).

Why don't you see if they will give you a free class on user regulator inspection and service?

Another question on annual service. When I pick up the reg from the shop after the annual service should they provide all the old parts and a test sheet showing the various test stats such as IP, Flow Rates, Cracking Pressure, etc. (signed by the tech that did the work)?

Thanks

ScubaTexas:
Another question on annual service. When I pick up the reg from the shop after the annual service should they provide all the old parts and a test sheet showing the various test stats such as IP, Flow Rates, Cracking Pressure, etc. (signed by the tech that did the work)?

Thanks
Howdy Neighbor,

Just to add to what has already been said, I will paste this info from a post I made a few moons ago.

There are a few checks that everyone is capable of doing. One is the intermediate pressure check. Get a simple 300 psi pressure gage from Ace Hardware (I like the helpful hardware man better that the giant store types) and adapt it to your SSI quick disconnect http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/hoses.shtml. Find out the what the IP range should be for your regulator (most are ~ 135 +/- 10 psi).

Another check is the cracking pressure of each second stage. Make a simple manometer from some plastic tubing and a yard stick http://www.komar.org/faq/manometer/ or even easier, fill your kitchen sink and immerse the regulator with the mouth piece up and see if it begins to flow before the diaphragm gets more than a couple of inches deep. You may have to put plastic tubing in place of the mouth piece to do this.

Finally, an water tight check is also very easy to perform. Hook the first stage up to a tank and without turning on the air (if you have a good tight dust cap you can use that instead) draw a breath until you hear the second stage diaphragm retract. Will the reg hold vacuum? If so, it is probably water tight and vv.

These simple checks can be done by anyone. They should be done often, not to mention when new out of the box or after shop service.

Check early, check often.

http://www.airspeedpress.com/ and http://www.scubatools.com/ have great books on understanding regulators and service.

couv

ScubaTexas:

Thanks

If your regulator parts kit is covered by warranty, you should not expect to receive any used parts, as they will be sent back to the vendor for credit. If you are paying for the parts kits, the used parts should be attached to the service order and disposed of once you pick up your regulator. It is our practice to note the IP and CP on your service ticket and provide a copy of the full flow bench stats on request. They are kept on file so they can be pulled by the tech at the next service. Shop policies may vary on this.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom