What should I do?

What should I do?

• Take back the Princeton Tec set and use the $$ for the UK HID?

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Keep the Princeton Tec set and save up for a Halcyon Canister in the far future?

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not do anything right now, but save up for a canister light from either Dive Rite or AUL. Halcyon builds quality products, but at premium prices so there is not much point in paying that much if $$ are a problem.

By the way, the Surge is a pretty nice little primary light for warm water night dives and looking into holes during the day. It is the most original small light design to come along in a while.

leadweight once bubbled...
I would not do anything right now, but save up for a canister light from either Dive Rite or AUL. Halcyon builds quality products, but at premium prices so there is not much point in paying that much if $$ are a problem.
I know that this is a little off topic but here goes anyway. Even if money is no object what would be the reasoning behind buying the Halcyon light over the others?

JT2 once bubbled...
I know that this is a little off topic but here goes anyway. Even if money is no object what would be the reasoning behind buying the Halcyon light over the others?

Quality and service. They're tops in both.

The question that will best lead you to an answer is:

Why do you want/need a diving light?

If you are using/plan to use a diving light for infrequent night dives/technical dives and mainly do "recreational" daylight dives, then a cannister light while a very nice piece of equipment and would be a dream to use, is overkill if you have other pieces of gear that you are looking to upgrade (you mentioned a new APEKS reg you wanted?). I'd just rent a cannister light for those occasions.

If you currently do or soon plan to go on night dives/technical dives semi-frequently then saving for/getting a cannister light is a great way to go.

If you are short on cash in the near term, you don't need to blow $1k on a Halcyon Helios system, you can find Halcyon Proteus lights with HID heads for ~$600 new, and a few hundred cheaper used (e.g. there was a 10 watt Halcyon HID on ebay for $400 earlier today). You just have to put up with a larger lead acid cannisters for similar run times to the NiMH systems, and in a few years when you are more flush, can swap out the cannister for a newer one of whatever flavour of battery technology is out at that time. Or you can go with some of the less pricey Halcyon cannister light competition, many of whom make functional and more than adaquate light systems.

Buying the best gear that suits your diving does not always mean buying the "best of the breed" in all circumstances.

I just ordered a UK Light Cannon, should be here in a couple days. I used one on a few night dives in the Ottawa River, Dark and cold. What a great light. that being said, you have to baby it. at $60us+ for bulbs it's not something to kick around.

I hear you about being a poor Uni student - I've got 3 yrs left and am still trying to fund my diving (I spent more on equipment this year then I did on school and books - oops) :bash:

Check out the Diverite canisters - if I did more of the Dark spooky stuff I'd go for the MR11 head canister. great lights and relatively cheap. (RELATIVE)

so yeah - good luck either way. and wreck/tech is right....

MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE! :mute:

Willer

Back
Top Bottom