What should I be wearing under my new dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new drysuit is a Pinnacle Evolution Freedom Drysuit Rear Entry. I live in Pennsylvania and would like to be able to dive year round.

IMHO Layers are the way to go. You can purchase dedicated "DIVE" under wear but expect to pay for it! The fabrics that are out now have great thermal value with less bulk. Under armor and other companies put out a great base suits (winter or cold ), then a layer of long undies.(Maybe more) I don't know how you deal with cold so you will have to figure it out.
See you topside! John

The new drysuit is a Pinnacle Evolution Freedom Drysuit Rear Entry. I live in Pennsylvania and would like to be able to dive year round.

Is the water temp a secret? I have never been to Pennsylvania.

i'll just say i've never been colder than november 20th in dutch in a 3mm...day-um, i was cold!

Is the water temp a secret? I have never been to Pennsylvania.

Not a secret, but not very precise either...

Anywhere from ~80 to ~40, depending upon the time of year and location. Mostly lakes and quarries, but then you add in Lake Erie :wink:, a mystery of it's own.

Mike

My suit is a pinnacle evo 2 with attached boots.

45+ degree water I wear a cabelas poly-pro jump suit, a poly-pro shirt and hiking socks.
<45 I wear same as above with the addition of a pair of poly-pro pants, and a polar fleece top.
my last dive was in 32 degree water, and I was comfortable. My feet did start getting a little cold, so for water that cold next time I will probably add another pair of socks.

I wear Weezle Extreem +. I think hot is better than cold. Weezle is hot on surface but excellent underwater.
38F aprox. 1hr - very well !

I usually only wear a pair of woolen longs and shirt. If the water temprature is freezing I add some cotton over it. Woolen socks as well ofc..

Hey, that looks like a decent trilaminate shell suit! Congrats! I can't believe how inexpensive that model is right now.... ($670 at Leisurepro). Let us know how you like it!

Anyway, I agree with those who recommend layering undergarments to be able to cover a broader range of temps.

For temps above 45F, I use polypropylene long underwear and fleece outdoorwear, of varying amounts or thicknesses (obtained from Cabelas).

Your Pennsylvania dives, like my local inland dives, might often involve spending significant amounts of time in two very different temp zones, that is, above and below the thermocline. In the summer, that could be 75 versus 45F!

One nice thing about fleece, if you're getting too warm, venting the suit will squeeze the fleece nicely, letting you cool off. Adding air will let it loft back up just as quickly. Other types of divewear insulation may not be as responsive in this regard. For fleece, this makes a positive of a negative attribute.... :D

Another nice thing is that perspiration can be dried quickly between dives.

And laundering of fleece is very easy.

On the negative side, the lower efficiency of fleece requires thicker amounts and can make for relatively larger weight requirements than some diving-specific undergarments.

Consequently, for temps lower than 45F, I use polypropylene long underwear and Weezle Extreme Plus. That combination protects me very well down to the low 30's F.

If you want to try to use primarily diving-specific insulation, I'd say look for a temp rating of about 50-65F (not 35 to 50). You can always add an extra wicking layer or vest or chest pad as needed.

I have a buddy who often is "roasting" in his Thinsulate 400 in 45F water! (Rated for 35 to 50.) His only option is to let cold water into his gloves and hood at that point....

That wouldn't be my favorite way to "match the temps".... :rofl3:

Dave C

Hey, that looks like a decent trilaminate shell suit! Congrats! I can't believe how inexpensive that model is right now.... ($670 at Leisurepro). Let us know how you like it!

Dave C

It's a great suit. The reason it's so cheap is its been discontinued for over a year :wink: LP still has some they haven't sold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom