What setup is best for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metfoo

Registered
Reaction score
I have under 10 dives logged so far. I am in michigan, and plan on doing more dives, most of which will be in the great lakes and michigans inland lakes. I will dive in the carribbean once my wife gets her cert, and as we can afford it. I have been borrowing gear from a family member, which has limited me to the number of dives I could make. So, I am finally going to compliment my snorkel gear with a BC, regs, and computer. I am a gadget person, so a computer only makes sense. I am also EAN certified, so a nitrox computer is also preferred.

I know its best to buy from your LDS, but I have had great luck with Leisure Pro, and you cant beat their prices. I am considering these two packages. I have read better reviews on some of the Tusa equipment and the oceanic computer than the dacor equipment. What is everyones opinion, and why? The $800 price range is where I want to stay for now. Thanks!

Tusa Package #2
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=PCKT2

Dacor Package #3
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=PCKD3

If you plan to get regulator service from a local dive shop, then you should plan to buy your regs from the store, not on the internet.

If you plan to get air fills from a local dive shop, you should plan to buy your tanks there as well.

You need to support your local dive shop, if you plan to benefit from their services.

Buying a slew of scuba gear on the internet works fine if it does NOT require annual maintenance, and if you do not require air fills.

Fit is your main issue in buying a B/C or an exposure suit. If you get a good fit, then these items last a long time, up to 5 years, without maintenance. So the dive store is not a major factor in relation to items like this.

Dive computers come with warranties. Make sure your internet dive computer comes with a warranty, unless you are buying it used, in which case there is no warranty.

I suggest you check out Scubatoys.com. Leisurepro is not a dive shop. Only experienced divers should buy from them because they are not qualified to give advice on gear.

Yes, LP has good prices and warranties, but.....

don't limit your choices ... you don't have to buy from just one source. Be careful on which brand you choose. I have always prefered Scubapro and until lately Dacor. May I suggest you read the thread "dumped on by diving companies again" before making your purchases.

Both packages are just OK--and just OK is fine for the Carribean, but for coldwater lake diving you should have better gear (regulators) than just OK.

A local dive shop, or even a remote REAL dive shop such as Quarrior recommended could talk you through your needs and help you select more appropriate gear.

I strongly suggest the local option for regulators--because they need service, and they need adjustments, and they can need a last minute tune-up between a weekend dive and a trip. So a drive up the street or across town to accomplish this is far better than express mail fees and prayers to get them back in time.

theskull

I have the wrist mounted version of the Versa Pro - I like it. I have the Dacor Falcon BCD and have had no problems with it either. I walked into LP and bought products from them just like I have bought from my LDS. They advertise that they dive as well but I asked the guy who sold me stuff if he dove and the answer was, as expected, "no". Their web site agents and support personnel sit behind the checkout - there is about four of them. I imagine their "warehouse" is quite big as the shop is most defintely not. They are closed on Saturdays for the obvious reason and they are not diving! :wink: I didn't pay for shipping that way but I did have the hassle of driving into Manhattan. :wink:

i kinda figured that lp wasnt a dive shop. i have also read that they are not authorizrd resellers, which also bothers me. scubatoys has been very very helpful, and i will more than likely buy from him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom