What scuba gear to take with versus rent in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructor can teach use of finger spool/reel,but can choose to only do surface deployment ,which is safer for the students in a training dive.
Use of surface marker is important. Its a signal device for the boat/crew to quickly identify divers surface location,can be use for additional buoyancy on surface, just as a foam noodle is used by kids in a pool.For it being a skill try inflating it by taking a surface breath-place face in water and blow it up. Much easier and less tiring than kicking to stay on surface with face out of water and kicking to stay buoyant.

Is this really what PADI is requiring as the skill criteria- surface breath and face under water inflation? I don't understand at all. Are you assuming BC failure here? Even if you were out of air, you're on the surface now so you can use your mouth to inflate. Why would you kick to stay bouyant? If your BC did fail, it seems like you would drop your weights, and then again- why kick to stay bouyant? Are you assuming the diver is wearing a steel tank too?

I guess I've never had a problem inflating my SMB on the surface (but I don't put my head underwater - that idea baffles me) It's as much of a skill as blowing up an inflatable ball is. I learned that when I was a small child.

I'm not at all arguing that a diver shouldn't carry one (even if just for surface use)- I consider it essential. But when I heard that PADI was now requiring OW divers to learn how to use an SMB, I figured they meant deploying it underwater. If they are just learning how to blow it up on the surface, I don't think that has added much to the course at all. Very disappointing.

I will note that when people say "reel"- all that is required really is just a string. You just have to have a tangle free system. The reels can get kind of expensive.

Seriously, I carry one. I never took a 'class' per say. I received the briefest instruction from non-instructors. "Hey try not to rocket to the surface while inflating" and "Watch the string. Don't tie yourself up" Just blowing up qualifies as a skill. I have deployed mine. I could have used a class before the first time.... :(
There used to be a Youtube video of how not to deploy an SMB (there are a few up there now but I could not find the one I remember) from a finger spool. It is very funny, but like a lot of things that are funny, there is an element of danger in it. Anyway, the poor guy is struggling with the inflator, and in the process he lets the line to the spool go slack and he gets tangled in a cloud of yellow string, and he drops the spool (which he never sees again because when you get those things the end of the line isn't usually attached to it), and he ends up in a tangled mess at the surface. The first time I attempted to deploy mine (I was never trained to do it, either), I had a similar experience. I had unreeled the line and secured it to the spool when I first got it, though, so at least I didn't lose the spool. It was embarrassing. I am better at it now.

I thought I might get an Aeris console with computer, but will I look like a walmart diver?
Hey what's wrong with Walmart divers? I dive in my tube top, pajama bottoms, & flip-flops all the time. My man-breasts in a tube top get all the attention...nobody even notices the SMB line wrapped around my neck...:D

. . .
I'm not at all arguing that a diver shouldn't carry one (even if just for surface use)- I consider it essential. But when I heard that PADI was now requiring OW divers to learn how to use an SMB, I figured they meant deploying it underwater. If they are just learning how to blow it up on the surface, I don't think that has added much to the course at all. . . .

I disagree. I think it's great that PADI is now requiring divers to at least know what an SMB is and why they should carry one. Like you, I had never heard of an SMB when I was doing the OW course and wasn't really made aware of them until I started reading SB. Forcing OW students to actually handle one in class reinforces this much better than just having them read something in the course materials along the lines of "this is a picture of an SMB, and you should carry one."

If I recall, I had enough difficulty in my OW course just remembering things like "breathe" and how to descend and ascend. Deploying an SMB at depth using a finger spool would have been way beyond what I was capable of--and my course was six days!

If your BC did fail, it seems like you would drop your weights, and then again- why kick to stay bouyant? Are you assuming the diver is wearing a steel tank too?

I'm not at all arguing that a diver shouldn't carry one (even if just for surface use)- I consider it essential. But when I heard that PADI was now requiring OW divers to learn how to use an SMB, I figured they meant deploying it underwater. If they are just learning how to blow it up on the surface, I don't think that has added much to the course at all. Very disappointing.

[text deleted]

Neutral or slightly negative at a safety stop is not a function of aluminum or steel tank. You adjust any weight required to achieve desired buoyancy.

Deploying an SMB at the surface is a start. Become comfortable with that then progress to deploying at a safety stop.

Neutral or slightly negative at a safety stop is not a function of aluminum or steel tank. You adjust any weight required to achieve desired buoyancy.

The post was not referring to a safety stop. It was referring to surface deployment and kicking to stay on the surface. There was nothing about neutral buoyancy at all. So I don't know what you are talking about here.

The post was not referring to a safety stop. It was referring to surface deployment and kicking to stay on the surface. There was nothing about neutral buoyancy at all. So I don't know what you are talking about here.
Why would anyone ever need to kick to stay on the surface?

Your original post suggests that having a steel tank may make a person less buoyant. It does not when you add any lead weight carried. If you want to assert that a person will have a harder time staying on the surface after weights are dropped if they have a steel tank then there may be some merit to that.

Once you drop 4-6-10 pounds of lead, even with a steel tank you should be positively buoyant.

I always take my own stuff except weights and tanks. Familiarity with gear is a significant advantage. Your ultimate answer, though, depends on if you are going to own and use (and become familiar with) your new regulators, BCs, computers, lights and the like that you purchase between now and June. If you don't dive and familiarize yourself with that gear then it has no advantage over Alison's rental gear imo, except a minor cost saving. That probably doesn't balance out the hassle/cost of schlepping it considering weight and bulk and risk of damage/theft.

I would always bring my own personally used and good-fitting dive mask, fins, SMB, snorkel, small powerful LED light, exposure suit (shorty) and booties irregardless.

I have enjoyed two great vacations to Cozumel with my kids. I love the place. You will have a great time: if you dive in Calif you ought to find Cozumel's visibility, healthy marine life and warm waters awesome and your dive op has a good reputation.

Realistically, you could probably show up with nothing except a bathing suit and still do fine...just giving the best advice. Communicate with your dive op on any issues/anxieties.

PS: keep all the immigration paperwork they give you when entering Mexico in a safe place. If you lose it it can delay your departure.

. PS: keep all the immigration paperwork they give you when entering Mexico in a safe place. If you lose it it can delay your departure.

You can replace that paper but it may cost you $25-30 USD. The last time I checked in Cozumel, the office to replace it was left of the check in counters. Stuff changes so look around. Better to keep it in your passport...maybe both in a baggie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom