What scuba gear to take with versus rent in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take all of my own gear with me, except of course tanks and weights. I know my gear and am comfortable
using it. I also ensure that it is serviced before I make the trip. Don't want anything to go wrong. I take two
computers with me - an air integrated computer on my console (Oceanic Proplus 2) and a wrist mounted computer
(Oceanic Veo). Both are packed in my carry on bag. If one fails, then I don't loose any dive time as I have the
backup with all the profiles. :wink:

Divegoose

We just got back from diving with Blue Magic. I can't say enough about them. We brought our own equipment, everything but tanks and weights. most rental BCs are not weight integrated so you will be diving with weight belts. One dive op we have used said their BCs were weight integrated. But just had Velcro cargo pockets they stuffed weights in...no way to dump weight in an emergency. We bought a hard sided large suitcase and packed bc's, fins, a full 3 mil and a full lavacore, back up masks, 6 foot SMB's, and a dive duffle bag in it. Primary masks, swim suit, and regs/ computers went in the carry on. The suitcase cost 25 each way as a checked bag each way on American. Leaving fins out may let you get everything in a hard side carry on depending on the size of your bc.

Our large suitcase case was big enough to inlude fins, but if I left anything at home, it would be fins. Most rental fins are full foot that I saw. Bring a snorkel if your surface interval is at a beach. Email your dive op in advance and discuss equipment rental issues. I used 100cf tanks that were higher at BM than other operators but I'm an air hog. All equipment issues need tobe resolved before you get on the boat and double checked before leaving for the dock.

Diving was great, water was 79 to 80. Weather was rainy but wet were going to get wet anyway. Bring a large towel or light jacket for the ride back in. Even in a wet suit it was chilly. Drift diving was fast but fun.

Either way, it's going to be fun!! Safe travels.

jay

That's one of the reasons why we decided to go with her. She seems so very beginner friendly. Do you happen to know, is her rental fee for equipment $10 per piece of equipment or $10 total?

Its $10 for the whole package with computer.

And while I agree about having your own gear, this is advise for people who aren't even certified. I would submit they aren't qualified to know what they want. And rental gear or new gear, they are not going to be 'used' to it. At least go on one trip before jumping whole hog into a setup is the way I think about it.

Maybe you fall head over heels in love with it and want to buy expensive gear. Or maybe you one love it a little and just want to get a AL travel BC or something. Maybe you fall in LOVE with Coz and bring your gear and leave it at Coz Scuba Repair, so size and weight isn't an issue. Who know?

The computer is nice from the start though. I have been using the same Nemo wide (used off Ebay) for years and I have ALL of my dives downloaded and saved which is kinda cool.

Oh and I subscribe to the MX servicing standard. It works, don't mess with it. If something breaks, Carlos will fix it on the boat.

Mask, fins and reg if you own them. Wetsuit 3 or 5 if you own them, most of the year most people get by with a 3 but a 5 can be handy in the winter months and then again a 5 can be used year round in CZM.

Dive computer, I would only rent one in an emergency (like both mine broke). Each manufacture lays out their screens a little different, when you are at depth and the lighting is dim and you are getting narked it is extreamly helpful to have a computer you can glance at and understand what it is trying to tell you, this is not the time for confusion and delayed interpretaion of your NDL / DECO status.

I have free bagage, I take everything plus spares

Hey Cathy,

If you're just diving a couple of days, I wouldn't worry about buying gear for the trip. Alison will have everything you need and it's a lot less to pack and hassle with on your honeymoon (and there is other stuff to do on your honeymoon :D, sorry, I digress) . If you're diving more than that, then it depends on how into diving you are or think you are going to be. I would do mask (good fit for happy diving plus mine is perscription), fins (again good fit, fewer blisters, I like open heel and booties for comfort YMMV), and snorkel (cause you're bringing the rest of the stuff and you might like to snorkel). Since it is Cozumel and many of the dives can be multi-level, I might think about a computer, but I wouldn't knee jerk into the purchase. Alison will have them. They might even email the make and model of their standard rental computer and you could download the manual and bone up on it. There's a chance you might not get that model when you get there since they are rentals (if you do, you win), but going through a basic computer manual should help you interpret most models and at least you would know the important stuff to be looking for. Plus it won't be Alison's first rodeo and the crew will help. Also, as others have said, pay attention to other's gear and the gear you rent. It's good info for when you do decide to buy your own. If you continue to dive, you're gonna want your own toys. All IMHO. Have fun :).

Why do you think being in the baggage compartment was a factor in the failure? The baggage compartment is pressurized, just like the passenger compartment...
I was told that most planes have more than one baggage compartment and not all of them are pressurized. I had just assumed my luggage was in a nonpressurized compartment and the low pressure at 35000 ft whacked the pressure sensor. Otherwise, I dunno, but my computer checked out fine when I was packing and was DOA when I got to Cozumel.

I totally agree with CVChief. Before dropping a load on diving equipment, how about diving a few times post cert to see if you will like it. IMO, the bare minimum you need are a mask and a wetsuit. Fit is important on both of these. A shortie may do you if you aren't good on air and your dive time will be short; otherwise I would get a 3 mm. BCDs take up a lot of room in your suitcase and your dive op will have one that fits you OK. The op will likely have suitable fins. You are too new to worry about a sausage and reel, IMO. Leave the computer purchase for now but when you DO decide t buy one, get one that is nitrox capable so you don't have to buy ANOTHER computer if you eventually get nitrox certified.

Some of you are making me feel ancient. I do dive with a computer but I also know how to use the dive tables too. I would never consider cancelling a dive because I didn't have a computer. But then again I started diving Cozumel back in 1989. Back when sex was safe and diving was dangerous. (Apologies to Coconuts)

As far as equipment to take. Unless you are just really attached to your BC I'd leave it at home. Bring your mask and regulator if you have one and use a rental BC and fins.

But then again, I shouldn't give advice on hauling gear. My stuff hasn't been to the States since 2011.

I totally agree with CVChief. Before dropping a load on diving equipment, how about diving a few times post cert to see if you will like it. IMO, the bare minimum you need are a mask and a wetsuit. Fit is important on both of these. A shortie may do you if you aren't good on air and your dive time will be short; otherwise I would get a 3 mm. BCDs take up a lot of room in your suitcase and your dive op will have one that fits you OK. The op will likely have suitable fins. You are too new to worry about a sausage and reel, IMO. Leave the computer purchase for now but when you DO decide t buy one, get one that is nitrox capable so you don't have to buy ANOTHER computer if you eventually get nitrox certified.

This makes the most sense to me. Mask, maybe fins, possibly a wetsuit. Save the expensive purchases until you have a bit of experience and can see what others have that may work well for you.

Mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit you can go snorkeling and into cenotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom