What’s in a name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The belief that the words jellyfish, cuttlefish, starfish and crayfish are misnomers derives from the scientific definition of the word "fish" which includes only those aquatic gilled creatures with endoskeletons, from lampreys to boney fish. However, non-scientific definitions of the word (e.g., the American Heritage dictionary) includes invertebrate aquatic animals like jellyfish in the definition.

I think it was Mark Twain who said that the true definition of a word is what you and I undertstand it to mean.

Sea lice aren't lice.

Walter:
No, they're jellyfish....LOL!!!!

Or protozoans... or cyanobacteria... or barnacles... or isopods. I'm sure I'm missing some additional "sea lice" groups.:11:

In Thailand, in the Thai language, divers are called "Minoot Gop", literally "Human Frog". I guess it was originally translated from "Frogmen". That was a misnomer corrected in English but not yet in Thai.

Back
Top Bottom