What Reg Do You Recomend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something supported by your LDS is generally a good idea. I bought mine local (Sherwood Maximus), very happy with it. The LDS will know local conditions, (where I am there's a fair amount of cold water diving, and the Maximus does well at that) and it cna be REALLY nice to be able to pop in to the LDS for tuning or follow-up questions.
(Nothing against Internet purchases, just that I have a better comfort level buying some things right where I live)

Using US Diver Cousteau 1st Stg, and Mirca Adj 2nd Stg. Love the performance, as well as the build and the size of the 2nd Stg. Would love to have a APEKS soon......

Atomic regs are great. I own the Z1 and am very happy with it. My Girlfriend dives a MK25/ G250 and at 93 feet I can't tell a difference between the 2. The Z1 is 150 dollars cheaper locally. That helped drive my decision.

markfm:
Something supported by your LDS is generally a good idea. I bought mine local (Sherwood Maximus), very happy with it. The LDS will know local conditions, (where I am there's a fair amount of cold water diving, and the Maximus does well at that) and it cna be REALLY nice to be able to pop in to the LDS for tuning or follow-up questions. (Nothing against Internet purchases, just that I have a better comfort level buying some things right where I live)

This is great advice. Visit all your LDS's. Pick one that gives you the warm and fuzzies and establish a relationship with them. Then get their recommendation on a reg for your diving needs for your area. If they give you a few to choose from, breathe on them if you can. Rent them each if you can and try them under water. Pick one and go :)

Same considertions here.... same level of confusion.

I'm essentially choosing between APEKS TX-50 (if I can find) or ATX-50, or SP 550. (sure , I like the extra adjustment knob on the 600, but don't know if I can motivate the extra monet).

I have seen some debate about the SP 1st stage: mk16 or 25... adding to the confusion.

So, instead of asking "which is better" (which seems to generate a lot of list of what people have themselves (thus, better as neither one of us wants to buy 'less good') - I'll ask the question like this:

between the Apeks(A)TX 50 and the SP 550(possibly 600): are there any features on one of them that you do not like, and if so - why?

(*PUH* I think i almost made a syntaxical knot on myself there now!:) :D)

I have a ScubaPro MK25/S600, a Zeagle ZX Flathead XP, and an Apeks ATX200. The ScubaPro and Zeagle breathe the same. Both very well, but there is a very slight amount of effort to overcome the cracking resistance of the second stage....VERY SLIGHT. The Apeks ATX200 breathes better. There is virtually no effort needed to overcome the cracking resistance. It is the most like taking a normal breath outside. I also like the metal adjustment knob on the Apeks, versus the plastic ones on the ScubaPro and Zeagle, and I like the hose routing of the Apeks a little better. I have all three to choose from, and the ATX200 is my first choice, followed by the ScubaPro, then the Zeagle. I have heard that the ATX50, ATX100, and ATX200 all breathe the same, so you could go with any of those and have the same breathing performance.

YOUDUKE:
I just started but would like one that is dependeble and easy to breath with. Dont wont to have to upgrade for a while and would like to have one that is a good brand name that can be worked on and serviced most anywere if need be. thanks .maybe 3 to 400 dollar range.
I mostly will do sping diving maybe some ocean thanks again

Zeagle Regulators are always a great way to go. Zeagle makes very reliable regulators as well as offers a lifetime warranty. The Zeagle Flathead XP is a little more then your price range at $450 from Divers Direct but with its performance underwater it’s more then worth it.

scoufr:
between the Apeks(A)TX 50 and the SP 550(possibly 600): are there any features on one of them that you do not like
The fist stage turrets are not nearly as useful for single tank diving as you might think. Skip the Apeks DST first stage, and get a DS4 first stage since it will actually save you a little money over the DST.

I like the bubble dispersion of the TX50 second stage for my primary, I wish I had the ATX50 second stage for my bungeed backup vs another TX (in my case a TX40) since I find the wider exhaust is more bulky than necessary under my chin.

YMMV.

StSomewhere:
Skip the Apeks DST first stage, and get a DS4 first stage since it will actually save you a little money over the DST

Thanks. Here's a stupic question - many times 1st and 2nd stages are sold together here. Does that mean they are normally specially adapted to each other, or could one mix brands and designs freely without compromising quality?

*newbie to all technical stuf...*

Most first and second stages operate with an intermediate pressure in the 120 to 150 psi range and are generally speaking compatible with each other. A second stage does not know or care what brand of first stage is sending it air, it is only conerned that the air is arriving at the correct intermediate pressure.

That being said though, some adjustment may be required to prevent a freeflow and some adjustment is almost always required to tune the second stage to the first stage in order to get peak performance. Those statements hold true even for regs that are made by the same company but are purchased separately.

A potential problem with mixing brands is that you then need to find a shop that servcies both brands to get a proper annual service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom