What reel for towing a float?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by dkerr
One night she was almost drowned by the harbor master who was running his boat back and forth over their dive flag because he thought they were stealiing lobsters from the traps.
Wow...that sucks. There was another thread on here quite awhile back stating the same kind of story where lunatic boaters were threatening divers accusing them of stealing their lobsters. Glad I don't have to deal with that. We have the tow a dive flag law in Minnesota too and it's a pain in the a**. I hate having to be the one to tow the flag. It just takes some of the fun out of the dives because you have to be careful not to get tangled in the line which unfortunately is real easy to do.

Ya, the flag law here in mass is a pretty big pain. Although, it's a good idea to have a flag in shallow water to keep boats from running over you. Overall though, it's pretty easy to get tangled in a flag and they can serve as attention getters for paranoid lobsterman, many of whom carry cinder blocks to drop on top of your bubbles.

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
Ya, the flag law here in mass is a pretty big pain. Although, it's a good idea to have a flag in shallow water to keep boats from running over you. Overall though, it's pretty easy to get tangled in a flag and they can serve as attention getters for paranoid lobsterman, many of whom carry cinder blocks to drop on top of your bubbles.

Ok, so it's looking like the blowup variety with the cheap kite string type spool.

Are you serious about the cinder blocks? I hope not. The captain of the boat may want to consider the size of the lawsuit if he was successful in hitting someone.... Not real smart.

I guess some good news is that there aren't any lobsters around here. :)

Thank you all for the info.

Ya, a blowup float w/ a plastic "spool" type line holder is the way to go, just becareful with as can be a serious entanglment hazard.

No joke about the cinder blocks, I know this not from divers, but, lobstermen themselves. Most of us know in NE it's not a good idea to dive near people's traps. I even know some noncommerical lobsterman so fixated on the idea they are being robbed by divers, they seal their traps with steel hog rings (which they cut off and replace each haul). I'm not even going to get into stories about razor blades hidden in trap line, etc.

Originally posted by Spray25
Are you serious about the cinder blocks? I hope not. The captain of the boat may want to consider the size of the lawsuit if he was successful in hitting someone.... Not real smart.

Down here in Florida they will SHOOT you. These guys don't live in the world of lawsuits, they live in the world of frontier justice. Don't ever think that will protect you if you get caught getting bugs out of "wooden holes".

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter

Down here in Florida they will SHOOT you. These guys don't live in the world of lawsuits, they live in the world of frontier justice. Don't ever think that will protect you if you get caught getting bugs out of "wooden holes".

Tom

"Bugs out of wooden holes"? Is that Lobsters out of a trap?

If ever diving in one of these locations I think I'll stear clear of any traps. I don't want to be mistaken for a tomb raider.

Originally posted by Spray25

"Bugs out of wooden holes"? Is that Lobsters out of a trap?

If ever diving in one of these locations I think I'll stear clear of any traps. I don't want to be mistaken for a tomb raider.

Yes, lobsters out of a trap :)

All this danger, not to mention you get arrected big time if caught by the law! Steering clear of traps is a good idea.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom