What proportion of scuba divers can equalize ears "no hands"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn’t when I first starting diving but generally can now.

The problem is...sometimes I can’t. And if I’m not paying attention, I can end up in a situation where I should have equalized but didn’t, which isn’t great. This is especially true if I ascend mid-dive and the re-descent. The second time equalizing requires more of an effort, for whatever reason.

No nose pinching. Valsalva also does not work for me.

I can unless I'm congested. Interestingly, if I'm free diving I have to use my hands for the first 5 meters or so as I can't build up enough pressure to equalize otherwise

I have always been able to equalize hands free even in planes/car rides before I started diving. I don't move anything, but can open the Eustachian tubes through muscular control like DiveClimbRide said. I always called it clicking my ears when I was little, but it's very similar to what TMHeimer explained, just without external movement. No one else in my family can do it though.

I can't. My dive doc says I have delicate Eutachion tubes.

I like to think of that as my sensitive side.

I can, I rarely have to use my hands (maybe it takes a little more effort after I have had a cold). My method works similar to what TMHeimer described. My partner always has to use his hands but he is more prone to develop ear problems anyway.

I pinch my nose and try to push air gently out my nose while squeezing it to pressurize the Eustachian tubes. On the way back up the pressure releases on its own naturally. I am open to learning a better way but this way hasn't given me any problems.

I just yawn and pop my ears.
No nose holding required.
I need to sometimes put a finger on my reg though so it doesn’t fall out.
I did a deep freedive once and held the yawning pose the entire way down. It was a smooth integrated equalization the entire trip down.

I have always been able to equalize hands free even in planes/car rides before I started diving. I don't move anything, but can open the Eustachian tubes through muscular control like DiveClimbRide said. I always called it clicking my ears when I was little, but it's very similar to what TMHeimer explained, just without external movement. No one else in my family can do it though.
Yes. I don't do any movement either, but doing things like yawning, jaw movement may be a way to teach someone how to do it completely movement free. My guess is most people can do this but are unaware that they can. I would guess also that a very few really do have to use the other methods and move something to make it happen. Maybe the same % of the population who actually have such a medical problem that they really can't get vaccinated-- now, back to The Pub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom