What proportion of scuba divers can equalize ears "no hands"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vasalva doesn't work at all for me, so swallowing or yawning/jaw stretching without hands are my only options

I couldn't when I learned diving.
Then I really was practicing it on land. All the day. But I still had problems when I had a mouthpeace in my mouth.

Then I practiced it more. So much, that I could do it while diving and didn't have to think about it anymore.

I now have the habit to equalize my ear, while inhaling when I dive.
So I never think about equalizing anymore. It just happens on every breath.

Only when I am sick I have to use valsalva from time to time, but that's really rare and only on my left ear, for multi dives, when I am sick.

But to answer the question: most divers can't.
Valsalva is still the most used technique.

I can, but I also find it very easy to do while on the motorcycle as well, whereas my wife always has difficulty.

I had been unable to equalize without the nose pinch although I didn't like doing it that way. And I had been trying for a long time to do it hands free. Then while diving in Roatan last month, I really concentrated on doing it hands free because we were doing sawtooth dives. For some reason after just a few tries, it suddenly clicked and I was able to do it. I don't think I pinched my nose again the rest of the week. Now it' so easy I can't figure out why I was unable to before.

"...and that laugh that wrinkles you nose
touches my foolish heart"

Often just wiggling my jaw will do it, but then sometimes it doesn't, so a little pinch and blow then. I can do it without a pinch probably 40-50% of the time.

You know actually wiggling my jaw also produces the "crackle" sound in my ears I mentioned last page. I suppose any of the usual methods described in scuba course manuals will achieve that sound. The trick is finding out how to get it done internally without other motions.

I can, just use muscles to open the eustatian tubes, took about 80 dives of diving frequently to get it down. Now I only use my hands when I'm very congested. Also when free diving I can still do it but it's a lot harder and less consistent.

I can, usually from just swallowing or thrusting my jaw and moving my ear muscles about 80% of the time, even at a fast decent rate head first. Occasionally I’ll get a little too far or miss an equalization and have to use my fingers on my nose or even come up a little, but that’s not often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom