What ppO2 do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calibrating to ambient air (humid or not) will get you within 1%.

Even for ridiculous tech diving, 1% doesn't matter. At all. The analyzers are only accurate to +-1% anyways.

Tank 'air' might not be air, but atmospheric air is always air. Calibrate to a known standard, and that's universally the air around you.

I plan for 1.4 max, because that's what my basic nitrox course told me to do... and I don't want to be a risk taking pioneer so I'm happy to do as I'm told!

I aim for a ppO2 max of 1.4 for the dive and 1.6 max on deco.

however, the choice of mix also comes into play....... Most of the time, when I am off to dive a wreck I will take the advertised max depth and add a good 5-6 m (20ft) and then calculate the fO2 necessary.

this means that as I dive I should be around a ppO2 of 1.3 or so, but if the tides or whatever mean that the wreck is a bit deeper than planned than the dive is not affected and I remain < 1.4

obviously for a wall dive no adjustment is made, as I just stick to 1.4.

Jon

I tend to be conservativve. So....

For soloing I use pO2 = 1.4 for everything except I use pO2 = 1.3 for 100% oxygen.

In cold water I use a working pO2 = 1.2 and a deco pO2 = 1.4.

For all other diving I use a working pO2 = 1.4 and a deco pO2 = 1.6

I tend to be conservativve. So....

For soloing I use pO2 = 1.4 for everything except I use pO2 = 1.3 for 100% oxygen.

In cold water I use a working pO2 = 1.2 and a deco pO2 = 1.4.

For all other diving I use a working pO2 = 1.4 and a deco pO2 = 1.6

Ahhh...but why? What is your rational? Afterall NOAA says 1.6 ATA is fine as long as you stay within oxtox limits. Sure you can say 1.4 ATA is less than 1.6, but why not 1.0 or 0.8 or...? If 1.4 or 1.2 is just a WAG that is important to know. And if 1.6 ATA for well withing oxtox limits is OK that is also important to know. Are we all using stock, if rather thoughtless limits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom