What Other Dives To Go Along With U-352?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First I want to thank everyone who responded in my other thread. The group I am going with will be diving with Discovery diving. We have planned a trip for this summer. it will involve 3 days of diving in hopes to dive the U-352. What other wrecks should we look into diving in that area of North Carolina? It appears that Discovery dive charters go to all the typical wrecks in the area. There is actually a quite elaborate list of wrecks. I have heard that the "SPAR" is one we might want to dive on. I would say everyone in my group will be in the "Intermediate" level of dives capable of diving to 130ft but would prefer shallower dives of course.

Last edited:
I think you mean SPAR (Semper Paratus Always Ready). It's an old Coast Guard buoy tender.

Others:
-Caribsea
-Papoose
-Aelous
-Schurz
-Indra (inshore wreck, probably be your 2nd dive on a full day)

Thank you!

I have corrected the spelling above as well!

Others:
-Caribsea
-Papoose
-Aelous
-Schurz
-Indra (inshore wreck, probably be your 2nd dive on a full day)
A good list. Looking at all the sites that Discovery says they go to (on their website), I would add the Normannia, and the Proteus. The Normannia is pretty broken up but the marine life can be fantastic. I love the Proteus as well, although it is a bit deeper (and therefore a shorter dive), and a longer run for Discovery. However, if they suggest it, I would readily agree, because the dive can be wonderful.

A lot of it will largely depend on sea conditions and where other divers on the boat have already gone. Captains will often call other captains on the radio to check conditions on different wrecks and to see where the sharks are.. If conditions offshore are bad expect to be taken to the Indra.(Honestly, not necessarily a bad wreck, I've had some great dives on her).

Discovery has 3 boats available. Good crews and captains. Six pack boat (usually booked separate) and two larger crew style boats that can hold 16 divers. They'll want you to analyze your tanks before you take them out of shop (standard procedure for them). I'd bring your own Nitrox analyzer if you have one. There is one (or two) analyzers at the shop but sometimes there is a big line of people waiting to analyze tanks. If you bring your own tanks and are driving down then be sure to check your bill to make sure they don't charge you for tank rentals and/or nitrox that you may have already brought with you.

Other favorites in no particular order..
Spar
Aeolus
Schurz
Caribsea
Papoose

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend TOO much effort trying to plan what sites you go to. My experience has been that The Plan is very much subject to the whims of the weather and the judgment of the captain.

Plus, if you haven't been, then any of those sites are going to be cool to see. I especially like the SPAR because of the normal good quantity of sand tiger sharks hanging around and in it. I also really like the Indra because it's really big and has a lot of fun swim throughs and places to explore. A lot of OBX old hands whine about going to the Indra - but it seems like that's generally because they have all been there a million times and are just tired of it. The Indra does seem to be the "go to" site when the weather is questionable.

The 352 is cool as a "must see" site because of what it is. But, it starts to get a bit boring pretty quickly. Other sites typically have a lot more to see and more "fun" sea life to see (like, the sharks :)).

Personally, the Caribsea is not high on my list of places to go back to. It's just a big debris field. And when I've been, the viz has always been pretty bad. OTOH, there have usually been a fair number of sharks. But, when they are constantly appearing and disappearing nearby in 15' of viz, that might get unnerving to some people.

I wouldn't spend TOO much effort trying to plan what sites you go to. My experience has been that The Plan is very much subject to the whims of the weather and the judgment of the captain.

Plus, if you haven't been, then any of those sites are going to be cool to see. I especially like the SPAR because of the normal good quantity of sand tiger sharks hanging around and in it. I also really like the Indra because it's really big and has a lot of fun swim throughs and places to explore. A lot of OBX old hands whine about going to the Indra - but it seems like that's generally because they have all been there a million times and are just tired of it. The Indra does seem to be the "go to" site when the weather is questionable.

The 352 is cool as a "must see" site because of what it is. But, it starts to get a bit boring pretty quickly. Other sites typically have a lot more to see and more "fun" sea life to see (like, the sharks :)).

Personally, the Caribsea is not high on my list of places to go back to. It's just a big debris field. And when I've been, the viz has always been pretty bad. OTOH, there have usually been a fair number of sharks. But, when they are constantly appearing and disappearing nearby in 15' of viz, that might get unnerving to some people.
What exposure protection do you where in July there? As stated I am a fresh water cold diver...I use 7mm or drysuit and I am quite used to diving in waters 40-60F. I have only dove once in warm water which was 82F and I did not need any wetsuit for warmth. I was thinking 3mm should be enough. Thoughts?

Last time I dove off N.C. in July, I wore a 3/2, and whished I would have brought a shorty or just a 1mm core warmer, but then I don't have too much problems with water temps as long as they are above about 73.

Ditto... South of Cape Hatteras, where you will be diving, the water is actually much warmer than you would expect it to be. I get cold easily, but my 5 mm was probably overkill last July. The depths also limit dive time, so you aren't as cold after a couple of dives...

I first dove there in July. I last dove there on Halloween weekend. I wore a 3/2 full suit every time. The coldest bottom temps of any trip were 71F (Halloween). The warmest was 76F, in August.

I would always were a full suit because of the potential for scrapes or stings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom