What options are there to add weight to double AL80's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tail weight pouch. Not sure that most of them will take more than 6 lbs, but it's a good start.

1. V-weight--a weight that goes between the tanks. with holes fitting over the bolts. They come in a variety of weights.
2. Stuff soft weights between the tanks and under the backplate.
3. Add weights to the belt.
4. You can get weight pouches that attach to the holes on the rim of the backplate. The aforementioned tailweight is one example.
5. In a pinch, you can ziptie weights to those holes.

So this highland V trip would go on top of the wing and under the tanks sandwiched in between and the same bolts that go into the backplate would secure it?

Have not bought them yet. I know LP85's would require less weight but still some but I have a friend selling an AL80 twinset for a really good price - he is having them re-hydro'd now

The V pouch will fit into the groove of your back plate. It says it will take up to 7 lbs, but I found the 5 lbs was pretty much the max I could get into it, 3-4 lbs was easier. If you wanted to use it in conjunction with a tail weight, it might be a good option, but it wasn't really my favorite.

The V pouch will fit into the groove of your back plate. It says it will take up to 7 lbs, but I found the 5 lbs was pretty much the max I could get into it, 3-4 lbs was easier. If you wanted to use it in conjunction with a tail weight, it might be a good option, but it wasn't really my favorite.

I could manage to get more than 5 lbs in mine, but it wasn't even remotely useable with that much. Felt like I was trying to put my bp/w on with a tennis ball in the middle of my back. One thing that does help is laying it out flat and zip tying around the pouch every few inches to keep all the shot you add from settling at one end.

@saxman242, thanks for clarifying, that was my experience. That pouch seems to work for maybe 3 lbs of shot weight comfortably. I can see where maybe it would work for a couple of pounds, then coupled with an additional tail weight pouch for whatever additional weight is needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom