What operating system would you run dive computer software on? (attempt #2)

What operating system would you run dive computer software on?

• Linux

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Mac OS X

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • UNIX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
First, I messed up the last poll so I'm posting it again. Please ignore the other thread.

I'm curious to know what operating system you would use to install the desk top software for a dive computer, i.e. the software used to store the log information from the dive computer. This poll is for anyone. If you don't have a dive computer, what desktop operating system would you use for the logging software, if you bought one tomorrow?

If you own a Mac OS X or Linux computer and use something like Vmware to run Windows software but would like to run the software on your native OS, tell me what your native OS is.

If you own more than one operating system, tell me which OS you want to run your dive computer software on.

TIA,
Darrell

There is no excuse for a logging software to not run on all of the listed OSs. Considering the number of cross platform languages, graphic libraries, and other related drivers any program written should be build-able for each OS.

The masses still favor Windows so it makes sense for manufacturers to put their efforts into software that will work for the masses. Having stated that I am hopeful that one day Linux will surpass Windows because of it's open source status.
Also for years I've been listening to Mac users complain that this or that software isn't available for Mac. To this I just say another good reason to re-evaluate your decision to use a Mac. I've never seen a Mac App that I couldn't find a perfectly acceptable windows PC substitute for. As for PC vs Mac hardware any half talented PC DIYer can put together a computer that will outperform any available Desktop Mac.

There is no excuse for a logging software to not run on all of the listed OSs. Considering the number of cross platform languages, graphic libraries, and other related drivers any program written should be build-able for each OS.

I agree.

However, if I was to write a piece of software as a hobby/side-project and no one cares of it runs on UNIX then I'm going to put UNIX support at the bottom of the list.

What is the point of this survey? Isn't the answer "whichever OS I have".

I'm thinking about writing software for logging my dives just as something to do, i.e. a learning experience. I figure if I'm going to do it, why not write it so other people might be able to use it too.

For many people, yes, the answer to the survey is whatever OS you have. For some people, they have multiple operating systems.

I agree.

However, if I was to write a piece of software as a hobby/side-project and no one cares of it runs on UNIX then I'm going to put UNIX support at the bottom of the list.

It is pretty easy: Simply don't make OS specific assumptions. If you wanted to easily make it cross platform then use Java. Or if you wanted to use say C++, use QT as the graphics library. Use a cross platform database such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite (probably be my choice since you can do it without a DB server).

The only part that might be difficult to cross platform is reading the dive computers themselves. But I'm pretty sure there are cross platform libraries for USB, serial, and infrared port reading.

It is pretty easy: Simply don't make OS specific assumptions. If you wanted to easily make it cross platform then use Java. Or if you wanted to use say C++, use QT as the graphics library. Use a cross platform database such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite (probably be my choice since you can do it without a DB server).

The only part that might be difficult to cross platform is reading the dive computers themselves. But I'm pretty sure there are cross platform libraries for USB, serial, and infrared port reading.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I have already considered Java as my language of choice. I'm comfortable with the language and have been programming it since 1997. I'm thinking I'll have to write some system drivers to be able to download information from various dive computers. I'll start with my operating system and dive computer and then see about supporting other operating systems and dive computers. I'm not going to bother with surveying who is using which dive computer. I suspect what I want to support and what I can support will be dependent on what I can get my hands on and how helpful the manufacturer is.

Sherwood (I have a Wisdom 2) hasn't been very forthcoming with information. I'll probably have to reverse engineer the software for my dive computer.

There is an open source project for a Java USB reader on SourceForge. I'll start with that for the Wisdom II. I also have experience with IEEE-488, JTAG, RS-232/RS-422 (serial), etc. so USB shouldn't be a huge leap. I currently work for a company that works with RFID and infrared devices, so I should be okay there as well.

I'm thinking about writing software for logging my dives just as something to do, i.e. a learning experience. I figure if I'm going to do it, why not write it so other people might be able to use it too.

For many people, yes, the answer to the survey is whatever OS you have. For some people, they have multiple operating systems.
Reality is that most people use Windows for the dive logging software, so writing it for Windows would benefit most people (short of an OS-independent solution).
However, if you want to do something that people will want, I suggest a different poll. One asking what features people would like in logging SW. Have you checked out the ones that are currently available? If you Google "dive logging software" you will see that there are dozens of them.
It sounds like a great personal project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom