What operating system would you run dive computer software on? (attempt #2)

What operating system would you run dive computer software on?

• Linux

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Mac OS X

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • UNIX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reality is that most people use Windows for the dive logging software, so writing it for Windows would benefit most people (short of an OS-independent solution).
However, if you want to do something that people will want, I suggest a different poll. One asking what features people would like in logging SW. Have you checked out the ones that are currently available? If you Google "dive logging software" you will see that there are dozens of them.
It sounds like a great personal project.

I'm going to consider writing it for multiple operating systems. If I didn't I'd write it just for the Mac. It has to benefit me first. :wink:

I like to take things a step at a time. First, get a poll going on which operating systems to support. Second, start looking at what features exist in current dive software. Next find out who likes what or if anyone has new features they'd like to see. After that start thinking about what technology to use to create the software with (based on the operating systems I'm going to support). There is no rush. No timeline. I'm not trying to get this thing to market. Budget is zero.

want to run your dive computer software on Microsoft Windows software?

see this video to see what could really happen.

Back
Top Bottom