What NOT to do... ruining your equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife has strong prescription lenses glued into her mask. After a trip in January, it apparently did not dry around the lens edges where they contact the mask silicone. Discovered a fantastic black mold crop in April when packing for a Curacao trip. Got back from there and tried to clean the now-dead mold with a toothbrush, but it didn't work well. The nooks and crannies were too small. I emailed TUSA about using bleach or hydrogen peroxide, but got impatient waiting for a reply. So, I used undiluted hydrogen peroxide that did a great job after during an hour soak. This was followed by straight bleach for an hour to be sure all mold spores were killed. Great results. Two days later, TUSA replied telling me, in effect, don't do it. So, I may have a slow disintegration disaster on my hands. Time will tell.

lmorin:
So, I used undiluted hydrogen peroxide that did a great job after during an hour soak. This was followed by straight bleach for an hour to be sure all mold spores were killed.
By "undiluted hydrogen peroxide", I'm assuming you mean 2.5-3% hydrogen peroxide solution like you'd get at a pharmacy? If you'd used 100% H2O2, you certainly would have had no use for the bleach afterward. (Not to mention, I'd hope you'd have used full chemical safety gear.)

Two days later, TUSA replied telling me, in effect, don't do it. So, I may have a slow disintegration disaster on my hands. Time will tell.

Thats gonna suck for her.... and YOU when she chews you out after she goes to depth and springs a leak...

Here's one...in the opposite direction, to what extreme do you go to protect your gear? My buddy and his wife actually emptied out a walk in closet to store their gear and installed a special climate control unit...in the closet! You could perform a surgery in there.

I know of a guy who used loctite as a "cleaning agent and lubricant" for a gun. :rofl3:

Wet and dry suits are in the closet, the rest is in various covered tubs in the storage room. However the stuff is washed and dried before it goes to that room in case of mould etc.

My first year of diving, I stored my equipment in my bag in an outside shed for the winter. I went out to get it in March before heading to the keys and brought it up to my bedroom to check everything out.

About 5 minutes later, I went running out of the house with my bag, came back and grabbed the vacuum cleaner and ran upstairs. The wife asked what I was doing, and I tried to put on my calmest "Nothing Honey" voice on as I ran down the hall to the bedroom. There was a 4X4 patch of BIG, BLACK ANTS on the floor as thick as a throw rug. I vacuumed them up as fast as I could, but she walked in an witnessed the scene. Oh, the horror. I then had to vacuum the trail of ants that had fallen out all the way to the front door.

After I got all of them up, I took out the filter bag and threw it in the outside trash. The place on the drive way where I had put my bag was swarming with them. I hosed everything off for a really long time and hung it on the back deck to dry. I packed my bag and left for the keys a few days later.

After my first dive, to 40 fsw for an hour, I left my BC on the tank lying down in the corner of the cockpit of the boat. I looked back and there were ants everywhere. Closer inspection revealed they were marching out of the hole in the top of the plastic frame that supports the tank strap. I clipped it to a dock line and tossed it overboard until my next dive, again 40 feet for about 45 minutes. They didn't survive that dive, and I never heard from them again.

Yea, I had the ant farm move into my gear bag, seeking moisture I think when I left it outside by the pool. When I opened the gear on the boat, the ants went everywhere!
Everybody acted like it was my fault..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom