What NOT to do... ruining your equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael ... Too bad it wasn't an electric fence.... but then again, hanging wet things on an electric probably isn't a good idea either.

well, we spray painted my daughter's styrofoam science project once, does that count? It disapeared before our eyes the morning it was due.

Fish_Whisperer:
My instructor's wife put a bag of horse feed just inside the trailer where he kept all of his scuba gear for his classes. Rats were attracted by the feed, and ended up eating about $7K worth of dive gear. Hoses, BC's and all.

7K? That must have been ONE HELL of a Setup! :D

catherine96821:
well, we spray painted my daughter's styrofoam science project once, does that count? It disapeared before our eyes the morning it was due.

If her theory involved what occurs when mixing a solvent like paint with Styrofoam, that I'm betting she got an A+! :D

I put a hole in my Wing I *think* because I packed it up with my BP and the weight of the plate, and STA were resting on the bottom of the wing. I had it in my gear bag, and I likely tossed it into the back of the truck without thought.

Then when repairing the bladder I snake bit the other side... somehow. Long story short, do NOT toss your BP/W around, or on the ground with a heavy SS plate and STA on attached! :shakehead

RonFrank:
7K? That must have been ONE HELL of a Setup! :D

Well, it was several sets of fins, several masks, several BC's in all different sizes, several SPG's, several miscellaneous hoses, gloves, booties, and on and on... He's been teaching for years, and granted, some of the stuff was probably due to be replaced, but holy cow... :shakehead

Someone in the club here went to thailand for 6 week holiday, came back to find mice had eaten 10-15 holes in both his drysuits.

I put my gear in a sea bag and it went into the attic. Fins and mask became molded in the shape of the bag.

I have a friend who, while eating lunch on their surface interval dropped a few crumbs (so they say) into their drysuit and didn't notice. Then it got rolled up and put in storage for a few weeks where it developed some lovely molds.

Back
Top Bottom