What NOT to do... ruining your equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, getting ready for a dive this last weekend, I noticed my B/C knife was loose... attempting to tighten it, the screw seemed to turn a bit in it. Thinking I was going to be real smart I dropped a few drops of Lock-Tight on the screws to keep it really secure.

The next morning getting ready, threw the B/C in the truck and the knife and case popped off... dumb look across the face.:11: . Well, the Lock-Tight melted the plastic on the knife case and made a mess on the B/C. Who would of thought that would have happened??

Knife and case now ruined... B/C survived... but I am just wondering who else out there has made silly mistakes like this and what should we be aware of??

I had a friend try to unstick an inflator by spraying WD40 into it. It weakened the plastic housing so much that it exploded when he hooked it up to the inflator hose. Hard lesson learned. Nobody got hurt but he was done diving for the weekend. Petroleum products and dive gear don't play well together.

Fish_Whisperer:
My instructor's wife put a bag of horse feed just inside the trailer where he kept all of his scuba gear for his classes. Rats were attracted by the feed, and ended up eating about $7K worth of dive gear. Hoses, BC's and all.

Time for a new wife :p

I was going to say... make her pay for it all... but her money is probably his money... so he would end up paying for it anyways..

Just KIDDING to all the ladies out there....

river_sand_bar:
So, getting ready for a dive this last weekend, I noticed my B/C knife was loose... attempting to tighten it, the screw seemed to turn a bit in it. Thinking I was going to be real smart I dropped a few drops of Lock-Tight on the screws to keep it really secure.

The next morning getting ready, threw the B/C in the truck and the knife and case popped off... dumb look across the face.:11: . Well, the Lock-Tight melted the plastic on the knife case and made a mess on the B/C. Who would of thought that would have happened??

Knife and case now ruined... B/C survived... but I am just wondering who else out there has made silly mistakes like this and what should we be aware of??

this sounds exactly like someone trying to repair(solder, crazy glue, etc) their own frames(spectacles).......

Me and my dad hang our gear on the fence to dry. And one afternoon while everything was hanging on the fence a squirrel eat most o fthe way thru the rubber straps on my dad's Quatros but left everything else alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom