What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishlips_1

Reaction score
Well I'm 2/5 the way thru with my AOW and have finished my rescue diver book. Now all I have to do is wait till my instructor has the time to give me my checkout dives. I guess my ? is now. What's next?

Have you done the required dives or just the electives?

I'm guessing your not PADI, since you're done with you rescue book without having done your AOW? (Not that that's bad, that's IMO good that you have to do some stuff before you become 'advanced'....but anyway, let's leave that alone)

The next thing is more diving...you don't perfect skills on ScubaBoard, and while diving you're becoming more comfy in your gear, figuring out exactly what types of dives you really love, and lowering your air consumption rate.

Well, as far as doing stuff before becoming advanced. When I started my AOW cert. I got in two of the dives before my instructor went to Rotan to divemaster for a resort down there. While diving is great for practicing your buoyancy and such. The book gives more knowledge. I know I'm not the greatest thing, but darn close.LOL No, but really I'm very comfortable in the water and my air consumption is very good and my buoyancy is not of a newbie. My instructor is very impressed by my level of confidence and skill since not being certified before May of 05. I really am a information junky and need to expand my knowledge in any way. Just looking to advance in my skills and cert's.

Information junkie -- that's me! In fact, halfway through my OW class, I bought the PADI text for the divemaster course, because I wanted to know how the equipment I was using was put together and how it worked, and nobody wanted to get into that in a big class of beginners. I can recommend the divemaster book as a good general reference for expanding your database -- it's not expensive and not terribly technical. In fact, I'm currently in search of more detailed references to read, particularly about diving physiology.

Unfortunately, as even my limited experience shows, no amount of reading makes you better at diving! Only time underwater can do that. And where are you diving in Central Oregon?

Fishlips_1:
I guess my ? is now. What's next?
How about you just go diving...

TSandM:
In fact, I'm currently in search of more detailed references to read, particularly about diving physiology.
The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving is a great resource for this information. I have the multimedia version, which integrates reallt well with the Diving Knowledge Workbook.

teknitroxdiver:
I'm guessing your not PADI, since you're done with you rescue book without having done your AOW?
PADI does not require you to have and AOW card before rescue.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong...I believe you can take AOW and Rescue classroom/pool simulatneously but must have completed AOW prior to doing Rescue open-water exercises...so, PADI does require AOW before being certified Rescue.

I stand correct.

However, you don't need to take either rescue or AOW to actually go diving...

Back
Top Bottom