What makes it special to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, I am going crazy with not diving, so to distract myself I thought I'd start thinking about some wedding plans.

What I want to know is: what makes you, as a guest, remember the wedding fondly?

Is the the lavish dinner?
Free alcohol?
Nifty giftie?
Extra, more casual dinner/brunch/lunch before or after the ceremony?
Lots of flowers and decorations during the ceremony & reception?

We are asking friends and family to come a long way for our wedding and want to make sure that we spend enough time with them and really make it something they will remember and be glad they did. I've been to too many weddings where it didn't seem like the guests were really appreciated - I understand how busy the day is for the happy couple, but we'd like to make an effort!

If you're having a destination wedding, as my wife and I did... the thing that people tell us what made it memorable are.

1) The pre-wedding activities that we planned. - We had events for 3 days before the wedding, like a whitewater rafting trip, to which 30 people went... We also had a golf tournament which we had 24 people play golf.

2) The band. We didn't have a DJ, we splurged, and hired an 8 piece "wedding band" and they really drove the party. Maybe my involvement in the music industry helped drive my decision towards a band over a DJ, but that really helped make it a great party.

The other thing that we did, was to take all of our "formal photos" early on that morning, so that we didn't have to get torn away from everyone after the ceremony.

My sister did a destination wedding and my own was traditional in some ways and not in others. For the sister's wedding the party favors were hats that every guest got when they arrived at the resort so even without the wedding party introducing everyone, it was readily apparent who was with the wedding so the guests could meet and greet on their own a little which took the pressure off the bride and groom to a degree. The wedding itself was at an all inclusive resort so there was a vacation aspect to it for the people attending and there was no particular pressure for anyone to do any of the activities that other people were doing.

For my own wedding, I worked against a personal pet peeve which is when you go to a wedding and the only people you know are the people you came with and the bride and groom. I can't tell you how many rubber chicken dinners I've had making small talk with the people at my table just trying to get through the reception and stay late enough to not be rude when I left. For my wedding we brought in a Monte Carlo. We had blackjack tables, craps, roulette, and slot machines at the reception so there was something to DO besides sit around and/or dance. It went off really well and as far as I can tell from the drunken pictures, everyone had a great time :D

I know that's not what really makes someone elses wedding memorable, but I tried to make mine more than standard.

Rachel

A memorable wedding to me is having a bunch of hot girls all drunk by the end of the night who will dance with you if you just look at them...thats how I get girls to dance with me....get them drunk....yeah baby..

HOT ACTION!!!!!

jepuskar:
A memorable wedding to me is having a bunch of hot girls all drunk by the end of the night who will dance with you if you just look at them...thats how I get girls to dance with me....get them drunk....yeah baby..

HOT ACTION!!!!!
don't forget scantily clad....

jepuskar:
You stalk me......

Have you tried a BP/W yet? I'll mail one to you if your that stubborn.
Off Topic!!!!

ha ha

Shouldnt you be diving or something? Most of my posts are off topic.....

When can I teach you how to take a real photo underwater...dude..seriously....I can make a piece of plankton look like a star..its all in the strobe.

I said strobe.

alcina:
Guys, want me to split this off into your own little chat?
You see Alcina, you mention wedding to single men and we talk about anything but... scares us!!!! I think you should mention wedding in the title and us single guys will stay away from clicking on it.....

:D

Back
Top Bottom